Affordable aerobatics?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
urflyingme?! said:
Hey guys, I've seen the lower cost Pitts', but what about those pitts that cost 200K, WHAT GIVES!?

Those are most likely the newer models such as the S-2B and S-2C (along with some S-2S's), which have the AEIO-540's, bigger engine, higher cost.

urflyingme?! said:
Hey guys, I've seen the lower cost Pitts', but what about those pitts that cost 200K, WHAT GIVES!?

Those are certified airplanes....and 2 place. The S1 is a single seat homebuilt. The best part about flying an S1 you didn't build.....is you never know how well it was really built. Think about THAT when you're pulling 6g's.

FracCapt said:
Those are certified airplanes....and 2 place. The S1 is a single seat homebuilt. The best part about flying an S1 you didn't build.....is you never know how well it was really built. Think about THAT when you're pulling 6g's.

Can't be any scarier than when we go to work and get one from MX.

An Acrosport I would be another possibility - around 20K, sometimes less. Barnstormers seems to have about one or two 20K single place acro planes listed per week.

You could look into a RANS S-9, yes they are small and most are two stroke powered but I have seen one fly at Sun n Fun and was impressed with the show that the pilot put on. You can find used examples dirt cheap.

Acrosport II ... seen 'em less than 30K ready to go. Of course ... if you didn't build it ...

Think about THAT when you're pulling 6g's.

:D

Isn't that why you're wearing a chute though?

Minh

Snakum said:
Isn't that why you're wearing a chute though?

True, but I don't know about you, I think it may be a little hard to get out of a Pitts, particularly when it takes a can of Crisco to get all but the thinnest pilots into the cockpit.

The_Russian said:
Try the Steen Skybolt. It can be built faster and more agile than the Pitts S-1. N3HW is the company flagship and is rated at over 350HP. Plus, it is two place for more fun with friends.

www.steenaero.com

I don't know about being more agile. An S-1 with 180 or better hanging off the nose will fly circles around a Skybolt. Don't know about the 350hp skybolt. I've only flown the bolts with 180 and a 260 on it. I've flown S-1s with anything from 150 to 220.

The Skybolt is an ok machine for aerobatics. Seems to lose a lot of energy while going over the top in a loop or any vertical manuever.

For just flying around and doing "gentleman" aerobatics, it is a decent airplane. I would choose a Pitts over it tho. Lighter on the controls and more responsive.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back