AF, Navy Fighter ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

I know there is a lot of talk between both services. But one thing I hear a lot about is the difference between each fighter community. According to the Navy they are told what not to do while the AF is told what to do. Any truth to these comments? Anybody here flown fighters in both services?

Seems to be the case. I was attached to an Air Force wing as a Prowler guy. Definate differences. As an enlisted guy I would ALWAYS suggest the Air Force. As a pilot, it would really depend. I LOVE the Navy mindset and flying. I don't think the Air Force would have worked for me.

I know there is a lot of talk between both services. But one thing I hear a lot about is the difference between each fighter community. According to the Navy they are told what not to do while the AF is told what to do. Any truth to these comments? Anybody here flown fighters in both services?

I think you are alluding to the rules mentality. Yes, the USAF rules tell you what you can do, while the USN tells you what you can't do. One is more fun than the other (USN) however I would bet the safety record of the USAF is better even after excluding the boat. Also keeping qualified on the boat absorbs a tremendous amount of time which results in less combat training focus.

Nobody trains better than the Air Force, that's an opinion shared by every exchange pilot I have ever flown with. We aren't as cowboy as the Navy or Marine Corps, and we know are business and execute it second to none.

It is still a lot of fun, but don't fool yourself, it's a deadly serious business. There are reasons the rules exist. I've personally had three very close calls because of guys not following the ROE or contracts. And, in the end, it IS all about turning the bad guys into hair, teeth and eyeballs.

Also keeping qualified on the boat absorbs a tremendous amount of time which results in less combat training focus.

Well, probably better expressed as "less time at home when you're at home". It takes about 1-2 weeks of field bounce periods to get ready (depending on how long you've been on shore and how rusty everyone was). Those middle of the night bounces before fly on are pretty stinky. Oh yeah, and they want you around during the day for your ground job too......

I'd still do it over again!!!!:beer:

Nobody trains better than the Air Force, that's an opinion shared by every exchange pilot I have ever flown with. We aren't as cowboy as the Navy or Marine Corps, and we know are business and execute it second to none.

It is still a lot of fun, but don't fool yourself, it's a deadly serious business. There are reasons the rules exist. I've personally had three very close calls because of guys not following the ROE or contracts. And, in the end, it IS all about turning the bad guys into hair, teeth and eyeballs.

Excuse me while I put my spurs and ten gallon hat away, but if you've had three close calls because of training rule violations maybe you're (or your bros are) not as professional as you think....

Well, Rhinodriver, I don't know how to answer that without starting a pissing contest. I obviously felt the same way about the individuals at the time, but it's very professional of you to call my professionalism into question without any idea what the circumstances were. But, if you've never experienced a TR violation in your distinguished career, then you are a very blessed fighter pilot.

My F18 is better
No, my F16 is better
is not
is too
is not
is too
not
too
not
too
not
too
not
too

I said not first
No I said too first

Did not
Did too
Did not
Did too
not
too
not
too
not
too

sorry fellas couldn't resists.... why not go to the O'club and buy each other beers and be glad you didn't have to fly East bloc Migs during the cold war where you were only given enough gas to barely make it back so you wouldn't defect...

Actually, I think the Hornet does some things better than the Viper, and I've got absolutely no problem with my brethren from the Navy or the Corp. One of the best instructors I ever had was Navy exchange. I was just communicating the observations of the many exchange pilots I've flown with.

We are lucky our training doesn't end up focused on when we need to be back on the boat. Most of our gas gets devoted to combat training. Maybe my buds were full of it and Rhino and Skinner can enlighten us on how training gets done at sea.

Latest resources

Back