• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AF Bonus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My bud works up in MPC and he told me they are looking at major changes or cancellation in the not too distant future due to record retention.

I love it, the AF never fails to disappoint me!

Think about it, the bonus programs works, pilots are staying in . . . therefore in typical AF logic, the program must now be cancelled!

The answer to a successful program is to kill it before it becomes too successful.

Does they really think airline hiring will be down forever? Or that the young captain can't see what is in store for him if he decides on 20 yr career? The inability to look beyond the next fiscal year never fails to amaze me.

Answer to my own question:

From the pentagon: Bonus is the same as last year except your only option is to take the 5yr or take up to the twenty year point after your pilot training commitment is up. If you are under the five year, you can no longer update to the 20 yr point. No grandfather clause. Still 25K a year.

Straight from the MPC folks who are visiting the base today, 20 year bonus is gone. 5 year will be the only one, expect 25k but not approved yet.

Make sure you you look at all the fine print, take a look at what's happened to those who've signed before you, and read "between the lines". There's a big ol' hook in that chunk of cheese they lay out in front of you. If you're absolutely dedicated to the full career (and the benefits that you receive at the end of 20 years)...then more power to you and sign on the dotted line. But...if you and the family have seen folks get yanked away to jobs "they can't refuse" and used as pawns by MPC...then buyer beware. Will you be able to get back to a cockpit in 3 years, and how much commitment comes with it (non-bonused)? Ever wonder just who's on those new career path advisor teams who are deciding your future with or without your inputs?

Fly safe, do good, and don't leave anyone behind...

The AF is always on the "end of the whip." They will cancel the bonus just as the hiring flood gates open, which may be a few years, then they will be in the crisis mode again! Stabilize and leave it alone...nope, they don't understand that concept! Is the retention high a result of "stop loss"? Wait until the exodus begins when the post Iraq era begins!

Latest resources

Back