Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got a new one last week:

We're cruising along at about 210 in the mighty 1900. We're given a descent. PF pulls the power back far enough that...

A. The gear warning horn goes off and I have to silence it, and
B. The airplane slows down 20-30 knots very quickly as he slowly lowers the nose, making everybody slide forward in their seatbelts as we decelerate.

So now we're descending at 180, level-off time comes, and it's power jammed back up as the nose comes up, pushing everybody back down into their seats.

He did this several times in a row until I pointed it out to him. Then he said "Oh, OK" and did it some more. :uzi:

It's a turboprop. There's no reason at all to power back that much unless we're at high altitude, a few knots from the redline. If you're slowing down as you descend, you're doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Last edited:
CA1900 said:
Got a new one last week:

We're cruising along at about 210 in the mighty 1900. We're given a descent. PF pulls the power back far enough that...

A. The gear warning horn goes off and I have to silence it, and
B. The airplane slows down 20-30 knots very quickly as he slowly lowers the nose, making everybody slide forward in their seatbelts as we decelerate.

So now we're descending at 180, level-off time comes, and it's power jammed back up as the nose comes up, pushing everybody back down into their seats.

He did this several times in a row until I pointed it out to him. Then he said "Oh, OK" and did it some more. :uzi:

It's a turboprop. There's no reason at all to power back that much unless we're at high altitude, a few knots from the redline. If you're slowing down as you descend, you're doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

It's not complaining if it's about poor airmanship. I flew on a Saab 340 and the weather was widely scattered towering cumulus. The crew managed to hit the tops of every freaking cloud for 200 miles. Real professional guys.

pilotmiketx said:
So when they're really bad, I guess you stone them or crucify them?
By Biblical concept I do not mean that it is mentioned somewhere in the Bible. While there is an incident where men are thrown into a fiery furnace as punishment, I will not do that with my children, as it is not advocated for the purpose of raising children. I will not throw my children into a pit, or into a lion's den, nor will I cut their ears off. I will not use a slingshot to throw stones at their foreheads, and I will not make them live in tents.

If you'll show me where the practices of stoning or crucifixion were advocated for the purpose of raising children, I'd love to discuss it.

Wow, If there is one thing that we are good at as pilots it's complaining. I can't lie though, I agree with most of those pet peeves
Yup, you got that right. You know what the difference is between a pilot and a jet engine? A jet engine quits whinning after you arrive at the gate. :laugh:

'Sled

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back