Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vector4fun said:
Stuck mikes.
How 'bout the guys that announce on the frequency that there's a stuck mic on the frequency? Wonderful - - too bad that the only people that can't hear are the ones that HAVE the stuck mic !?!?!?!?

:)

TonyC said:
How 'bout the guys that announce on the frequency that there's a stuck mic on the frequency? Wonderful - - too bad that the only people that can't hear are the ones that HAVE the stuck mic !?!?!?!? .

Are you sure you are not hearing that on guard? That's where I broadcast it, you probably heard me and didn't even know which radio it was coming from!
I believe even the culprit should hear that, I could be wrong.

I think that we are all guilty at some point in time for all these little travails.

Lots of good points though.

Some good things to remember:

"Forgetting what it is like to be a student" - I think we all should remember this one no matter what station we are at in our careers or in aviation (for those that are not employed in aviation)

The chatter on the radio can either be entertaining or frustrating. I think my tolerance of that is dependent on the day and how much traffic is on frequency. When others make "stupid" comments it just makes the rest of us look good! I don't tolerate the "long story" too well though - do we all really need to know all the details?

Overall I hate minimalists - people that just do the minimum to get by.

Wind Checks - I guess I am guilty on this one, I on occasion will call at night (don't usually call during the day as there are more visual indicators available), going into PANC. The winds at times down to 500' AGL or less at times can be absolutely cranking and down at ground level it can be nearly calm. I will check for two big reasons; 1. To get an idea what either the windshear/wind gradient is, or 2. When I watch the other crewmember struggling with the approach, so that way they will have that much more information to help them. Does this make me wrong?

I think that we can all be a bit more tolerant at times - I guess that would be my biggest pet peeve.

Last edited:
GravityHater said:
Are you sure you are not hearing that on guard? That's where I broadcast it, you probably heard me and didn't even know which radio it was coming from!
I believe even the culprit should hear that, I could be wrong.
Then I wouldn't be talking about you. I said, "guys that announce on the frequency..." I'm sure you make your broadcast helpful and most useful by including the frequency of the offending stuck microphone, right? For example, "All operators on 132.57, check for stuck microphone." And since 3 or 4 folks will think to do the same thing at the same time, you'll step on each other and the result will be a garbled squeal, after which we'll hear more folks stepping on each other to say, "Blocked." The "blocked"s will be blocked, so more people will have to say "blocked" until someone finally gets a solo "blocked" in edgewise. By that time I'll be passing V1 and reaching for my communications control panel to turn off Guard.

:rolleyes:

I think the ATC frequencies are primarily to be used for aircraft to talk to ATC, not for aircraft to make general broadcasts to other aircraft. Let ATC handle the stuck microphone.

Pilots who have no concept of the whole distance/speed/altitude concept.

ATC gives a discretionary descent, and he just shrugs and says, "Eh, let's just start down now," even though we're still 150 miles from the airport (bonus "peeve points" if we've been enjoying a tailwind and smooth ride at cruise altitude the whole way)!

He starts a looooooong, slow descent, and somehow, because he is paying absolutely no attention to the whole 3 dimensional picture, still winds up too high and has to use the speedbrakes to get down!

And, for the record, I'm not a "speed brake nazi". If you need 'em, use 'em. Just try to use some sort of descent planning, for crying out loud!

LAXSaabdude.

avbug said:
Smack a child in my presence and one may be bleeding out of body parts one didn't know one had. Compared to my friendly attitude at that point in time, the angle of death is a nice guy.
Someone should have smacked the $hit out of this tool a long time ago.

TonyC said:
How 'bout the guys that announce on the frequency that there's a stuck mic on the frequency? Wonderful - - too bad that the only people that can't hear are the ones that HAVE the stuck mic !?!?!?!?

Or the crew with the stuck mike who starts cussin ATC because they can't get a reply??? Actually when I'm not busy, that's been very amusing!!! :D :p

Someone should have smacked the $hit out of this tool a long time ago.

Be my guest...I'd savor the chance.

In light of bigger issues an in deference and respect to the loss of the webmaster, I'm done with this line of discussion.

Latest resources

Back