Aerial Photography - Technical Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mcochran

I've been involved with various types of photography for about the past 10 years, and I would like to try my hand at some aerial photography. What are the rules of thumb when it comes to altitudes, airspeeds, best times of day, etc?

I would guess a reasonably slow airspeed would be best, but what altitudes are ideal? I've got a 20mm, a 75-135mm, and a 200mm lens with a 2X extender. I would also assume that early morning and late evening would be the best times to shoot so as to make use of the soft, even light (i.e. no harsh shadows) present at those times of day.

One legal question - can a commercial certificated pilot (i.e. me) take off, shoot some pictures, land, and then sell those pictures for a profit w/out breaking any FAR's? I've done a search and haven't found anything conclusive on the subject. I figured I might want to make use of my AOPA dues and bounce the question off them too.

Thanks in advance.

Mcochran,

What I know about photography would fit on the head of a pin. A really small one. I've done some callendar work and even took some folks scouting for an imax movie location in a remote area once...and once had a picture I took from the air published in my high school year book. My idea of master photography is one of those little plastic and cardboard disposable jobs from walmart.

What I can tell you is that selling your pictures is legal, and no, you're not breaking any regulation by taking the pictures from the air and making a profit from them. I think you might have more success doing real estate shots than scenic pictures, but that's my opinion. I know of a helicopter company, Boatpix, that thrives from doing aerial shots of folks watercraft from the air, using R-22's. I saw one in Marsh Harbor a few days ago.

What you might be violating are the rules of common sense and safety if you do it alone. Good photography requires concentration, and when you're flying the airplane, your main concentration should be on flying the airplane. If you plan on taking pictures from the air, I'll strongly urge you to consider doing so with someone else flying the airplane while you devote yourself to getting a good shot. Aside from the fact that you're not looking for other airplanes and traffic you're also not paying attention to the airplane when you're setting up and taking a camera shot. Folks have flown into the ground doing that very thing...you might not think it could happen to you, but then...neither did they.

Get a partner and a good platform, and there's no reason you couldn't make a go of it.

I am currently doing aerial photography in a 152 up in Canada.

I can't comment on the type of equipment we use, as it is confidential. But, if you want to do aerial photography, it is good to use an SLR camera. Also, it is wise to set a high shutter speed (we try to shoot at 1/2000, but we may have to change the speed depending on the conditions and lighting). By the sounds of it, your camera seems to be pretty good. The type of photography you do will dictate the lens you use. I have used a 400mm lens before while shooting extreme close-ups for a job that required me to shoot apartment windows over downtown Toronto. Trust me though- holding onto a long lens gets very tiresome after a while and you will develop pretty nasty cramps in your hands.

In terms of aircraft configuration... I usually operate between 60-80 knots. If you go too fast, the picture may be blurred and it can be difficult to compose the picture. If you go too slow, the aircraft feels mushy and it is too difficult to focus your attention on the photograph. I think 70 knots is a good speed overall. I prefer not to use flaps either, especially when it is gusty (i.e. I used to use 20 degrees of flaps and would have problems in windy condition of getting close to Vf speeds)

For the time of day... For the photography we do, having long shadows is not acceptable, so the best time for us is in the afternoon. If you want softer lighting or if you want some dramatic shadows, then shoot in the mid-morning or late-afternoon. The problem with shooting in relatively low-lighting conditions (i.e. early morning, late afternoon, overcast skies) is that you may need to set a slower shutter speed.

I hope this helps.

Out of curiosity, Chris, how detailed can you get the shots of those windows, and what's inside? Do you use separate photographer and pilots?

Are you simply looking into small format cameras? Who are you looking to sell your products to? I've flown aerial "survey" aircraft for almost 3 years and have operated most photo and laser equipment. The most advanced equipment can be a bit pricey (about $500,000-$1,500,000), but it can revenue $20K-$30K an hour. It seems to me that the most money is in topography, but a 35mm can't do the job. To sell photography at a high premium, the camera must be calibrated by the USGS with a 9" x 9" film negative and have a means of pinpoint accuracy.

Feel free to PM me for any specific questions.

Mike

avbug said:
Out of curiosity, Chris, how detailed can you get the shots of those windows, and what's inside? Do you use separate photographer and pilots?

On that specific flight, the details were pretty good. I was 1000 ft AGL and I got as close to the appartments as possible without invading my "comfort zone." With a 400mm lens, if you zoom-in as much as possible, the frame was filled with the windows and balconies of the appartments. Now it was not detailed enough so as to be able to see what's inside. The customer was a window-manufacturing company, and they just wanted some shots of their products to put on their website. I don't remember the name of the company, so I can't "show-off" my work.

We operate single pilot where I am responsible for both photographer and pilot-related duties. This took time for me to adjust in the beginning, but I am used to it by now. We normally work between 500-1000 ft AGL as well, depending on the area we shoot.

i remember reading a story in AOPA about "unusual" flying jobs, and one was a guy who started out single pilot, renting a plane and doing occasional jobs for people. his business has grown so much that he's bought an arrow (seems like a low wing wouldn't be good for photography, but thats me), and special mount and a much better camera, and is doing very well.

i'll try to dig it up on aopa

is that a pt135 ops? or is it, only if you take a cameraman aboard to let HIM take pictures?

(IE the aircraft must comply with all the 135 regulations for photo work)?

I know, I know

I have been trying to do some aerial photography on the side for some extra income. While I will never make a Million bucks doing this it keeps me in beer money. I currently use a digital SLR. It allows me to see the work while flying and get the images to the client much quicker than regular photography. I have found that realtors are looking for images to use online or print and they don't need large photos. 8x10 is really that largest anyone has ever asked for.

I saw the BoatPix.com chopper last summer and I know they took a picture of the boat but I can't find it without having to pay for it first. They ought to work on that problem so I can see the photo before I buy.

If I recall, the article in AOPA was about a guy who operated AIRshot Aerial Photogtaphy based in Montgomery, AL. http://www.airshot.com/

You might shoot them an email and see if they'll give you any tips.

I've taken some from hanging out the window in a 172 with a standard SLR, nothing fancy, type camera. Just make sure the camera strap is firmly attached to you or something inside the plane (got a little too close to "bombs away" a couple of times). ;)

TB

Latest resources

Back