• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice on Laptops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody have a IBM T30-81U or any T30 for that matter. I am intersted in purchasing this laptop, but just wondering if there are any major complaints. Thank you.
dude

I'm sitting right now on a Toshiba Satellite 1955. It's a friggin desktop packed into a laptop form. 16" screen - Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz chip, 512 MB DDR RAM, 40GB HD, DVD/CD-R, detachable wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, plus ethernet/regular modem, and all the usual stuff. Works great for movies, games, you name it.. This system was ranked #5 best laptop on various websites. I paid 2 grand for it. Well-worth the money...

Whatever you get make sure it is small and light. Carting around 5+ pound machines with the additional power bricks gets to be a pain in the backside and takes up alot of room that could be used for other things, like clothes.

I don't usually watch DVD's while on the road so I went with a Toshiba Portege 2000. 2.6 pounds! Comes with an additional battery that increases battery life to 6 hours! If you want you can add a DVD player to it through the PCIMCA card or the USB port, and still the amount of room or weight will not match hauling around a bigger unit. It also comes with WIFI built in, so if you are at a Starbucks and different locations at some airports you can log on to the internet wirelessly and it is FAST! There is also an IR port, (I use for synching the Palm) and an SD slot. If you have a digital camera that uses that kind of media you can just pop it into the slot and download the pix. The last thing is even though it doesn't have the biggest screen it does have a FULL SIZE Keyboard.

I have got a lot of rave responses when people see it; "Wow!", "Nice Screen!", and the ever popular, "Is that a computer, I can't believe it!"

It is pricey though at about $1900.00

ShawnC-
I guess you really never have used a Mac, because you evidently don't know much about networking one. My mac can connect to darn near any network with a crowd of PC's, share, and be shared, and use the printers to boot. It can assimilate into the windows world just fine.

Apple iBook

Looking at your price range I would suggest you take a look at an Apple iBook. I am using a TI PowerBook and love it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back