Advice on Laptops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sppedmode

I'm looking to get a laptop this month (spend around $1000-1200) and was curious what you guys use on the road. What do you like or dislike about certain models. I'm looking at a Dell or Gateway, but am open to other options. All I really need is something to get online with at the hotel and watch DVD's during the commute. Thanks for your help in advance!

just bought a dell 2650 recently.
was pretty cheap and has a 15 inch screen / dvd.
perfect for movies and email and any office junk you may run.

Cant beat DELL price (mine was 1000$) but you DO get what you pay for, it is no doubt built CHEAP and feels CHEAP. But it works good so far. I have owned a few diffrent brands of laptops and have to say if you have the extra few dollars go with IBM. You WILL pay more but they are tops. They run quiet, realiably, and cool...but I wanted cheap so went with Dell. and like I said, It seems fine.

Two products I won't buy.............EVER!

1) Dell.......due their stupid ass commercial showcasing the retarded slobbering idiot.

2) Mitsubishi...........By far, this company has the most irritating commercial on T.V. I wouldn't hesitate putting a bullet in that B*tch in the car that convulses while listening to that hideous song. My blood pressure is going up just thinking about it! :mad:

If you're just planning on doing internet and DVD stuff, I'd suggest an iBook. Now before you anti-Mac people jump all over me, I've been using one running OS X for about a year now, and the thing is pretty awesome. The 12" screen version is the perfect size, it's built like a tank, and I've been able to watch two DVD movies back to back on the battery (about 4 hours). On my high end Dell that's less than a month old, I can't get through one movie on the battery - let alone two. If I don't use the DVD drive on the iBook, I can get 5 hours reliably, and 6 hours if I spin down the hard drive.

The Dell is faster, and certainly more compatable, but when it comes to battery life, the iBook can't be beat. I've gotten pretty comfortable with OS X as well, and although it has its quirks, pretty much all of the old problems I had with the Mac (crashing, no pre-emptive multitasking, no protected memory, etc...) are all gone. The screen is incredible too, and since the wireless networking is built in, you don't get the little goofy antenna thingy sticking out the side.

I've always had some aversion to Macs, but Apple really got it right with this notebook.

I bought a Dell 4100 last year. It is a great laptop and the support from Dell is top notch. I paid about $1400 with many upgrades from the base model. My next computer will definitely be a Dell.

Two products I won't buy.............EVER!

1) Dell.......due their stupid ass commercial showcasing the retarded slobbering idiot

It is obvious that the marketing personnel at Dell are targeting the younger crowd. My bet is that you are over 40!:D

As a guy that worked for Dell for some time, I can attest that they really are customer-centric. There are always a few idiot tech's out there, but for the most part the company prides itself on how it takes care of its customers, and the service awards that Dell always tends to rake in bear that out.

Heh! If my Dell buddies ever find out I just tried to pimp an iBook to someone - they'd KILL me! :D

Compaq

I purchased a Compaq system on Ebay last winter and I am very pleased with it.
Looking back I would buy a Dell. I saw a great system advertised in the local paper for about $1100.00 with all the bells and whistles.

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

I vote for Apple as well, I own the larger screen iBook, and it is a great machine. Everyone I have spoken to who has the higher end powerbook (titanium case) is kind of disappointed for the extra money they spent and wish they had gotten an iBook instead. It's plenty fast (don't listen to the "it's only 700mHz vs. 1.whatever gHz" arguement until you consider the different architechture and bus speeds of different chips and mainboards and what really matters). The battery life is great, OS X is great, and it's built to take a beating if it comes to that.

Unless you're really into windows, I'd consider the iBook, go to a CompUSA or apple store in a mall and play with both the 12.1" and 14.1" screen models. For me it was the big one, but the 12.1" fits nicely in more places.

If you must have a windows machine, Toshiba makes a good laptop, the Portege models are pretty small and light, and have decent battery life. I would rather look at a dead apple than use a dell.

www.apple.com/switch

Latest resources

Back