advice on becoming an FE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WickedPissa said:
You may not even need to be an FE at UPS or FedEx????

Even if you're sitting sideways, you're still making $65+ an hour second year with a great future ahead of you. Suck it up for a couple years as SO, and then make well over $100 in the right seat. (If the opportunity ever came up in the future).

A couple of years?? Guys are spending less than 2 months as an SO before they're upgrading to the right seat.

WickedPissa said:
You may not even need to be an FE at UPS or FedEx????

Even if you're sitting sideways, you're still making $65+ an hour second year with a great future ahead of you. Suck it up for a couple years as SO, and then make well over $100 in the right seat. (If the opportunity ever came up in the future).

No doubt. I meant that by the time this guy/gal gets his/her min. quals, FedEx and/or UPS may not have 3 man airplanes.....know what I mean?

SierraPapa356 said:
What if you worked for a company that would let you in the FE seat than transition to SO, wouldnt that be a good way to go? And who is DP..

I think you meant FO not SO.......the FE is also referred to sometimes as a Second Officer (SO). First Officers (FOs) are co-pilots....;)

cl65 said:
....... i am in my late 20's and i am thinking long term, do not wish to work for 5 airlines before i retire. Any help is appreciated. thanks

Take some advice from those that have been in this game for a lot longer than you have.

Stick with what you have, the less you switch and change the better. Forget the FE writtens and ticket. It will not enhance your prospects. I took them 3 times back in the last decade to keep my chances in with the majors - did not make a blind bit of difference, only cost me more bucks!

Having said that, we all do not wish to work for 5 or more airlines before retirement. My friend, if you stay in this industry, it is highly likely that you will not have the luxury of staying with one employer for the rest of your career! :crying: I am willing to bet there are far more guys that have gone through 3 or more employers because of layoffs or furloughs than there are single employer guys. I think that was back in the 70s/80s. It's a whole new ball game now. But good luck.

Latest resources

Back