Advice/direction from you experienced guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

I am earning my ratings right now, and still a couple of years away from applying anywhere. But, still I cannot help but get caught up in these boards and looking at job possibilities when the time comes.

How many of you currently fly for or have flown for a local charter company? What I mean by local, is, one of those smaller charter companies usually based at a local airport, not necessarily one of the more larger well known charter companies. I have several around where I live. Are they good companies to fly for, and would you all recommend looking into them? Typically what is the pay (average, all things constant), and minimum requirements for these type charter companies.

The reason I ask, is because several of them near me are located, obviously, at FBOs where I can look to get a job working the line or some other job and get my foot in the door. Or, would you all just recommend going to a regional when the time comes? I've always thought I'd rather fly for the airlines, but I am actually getting interested in charter and corporate flying now too. Seems like a better deal right now, with much better pay, considering the state of the airline industry. Although I guess some things are beginning to improve, and who knows where things will be in a few years. Just looking for a little advice, and trying to see if it would be a good idea to start getting my foot in the door somewhere.

-Thanks.

I live in Louisiana (Baton Rouge) and the types of planes vary from a Baron to King Air 350, 200, Premiere I, Westwind II, and Hawker 800.

On the Rise--
I've told a few guys that I've guided in aviation; "Take the first flying job that comes your way", even if it's 135 and you want a regional. You can always change over at some point. It's always a little easier to get another flying job while you have one.
Good idea working line at a local FBO; you'll meet 1 or 2 important people, and if they like you...
Good luck!

If you can land a mom and pop charter gig it is not all that bad. Usally entry level pay is crap and so is the schedule. But it is a great way to build multi time. Most importantly when you are sitting around FBO's it's a terrific way to network with people. As previously posted, you can always go to the regional thing with good multi time and 135 experience.

local la. gigs

went to nsu and went back to aex to instruct for a few years, worked line service etc,.. went to work for legacy in mlu ( out of business now) then got on with coex ( 1900, e-120, e-145 ) and am now at airtran, so it can happen for a local boy...135 experience was great... i was never sharper... you will figure out what career path you want later... as an old timer told me " get a flying job, any flying job...then get a better one..."

LA Air is a good company from what I hear. I was also in AEX (after EMBATP though..he'd already moved on to CoEx). I worked for a regional outstation and got to know a lot of pilots that way. Currently working part 91 corporate and loving it. TO each their own. Take the first thing that comes along until you find something you really like.

Gosh...

it is simply a matter of calling up those charter companies in your local are and schedule a meet and greet with their respective chief pilots. This is a tight knit community and chief pilots are not only pilots, but mentors too. Do your homework about the aircraft they fly, routes worked and express and eagerness to learn more. Ask if they have an intern position such as in scheduling or dispatch so you can learn from the ground up while you are learing how to fly.

Best of luck

PilotOnTheRise,
What you're talking about doing is exactly what I did to get where I am now. Getting a job on the line is a good thing for a lot of reasons. Like you said, you'll get your foot in the door and get to know the people at a company. If you're resposible, work hard and don't blow the place up, you might end up in the right seat of some nice ships plus you'll learn things that you'll never learn as a CFI. With that said, if you lucky enough to land in the right seat, you should still get those CFI ratings and do some teaching to help build hours, learn and make some extra money. Another good thing about working the line is it can make for a steady paycheck. Look at all the cfi's that sit around and cry when a week of bad weather comes through. Back to Romin noodles for them while you'll be getting your regular pay. Also, you'll learn things about airplanes that a lot of pilots don't know because you'll be handling all types of them all the time. And remember this... if you hang around long enough to make capt at a decent 135, you'll probable make more money than if you were trapped in the right seat at Express Jet for 5 years! Plus you'll be logging PIC instead of SIC. If you've got any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. It sounds like you've got the potential for some good things to happen.

Latest resources

Back