• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Additional fuel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ours have the freedom to add up to 1500kgs/3000lbs without notification.

737/757/MD80

Last edited:
Ours have up to 1000 lbs of Captains Add fuel without permission or release amendment, provided it doesnt bump revenue.

Beyond that they need a release amendment.

Type: CRJ700

At OO, all equipment types:

No restriction or release amendment required for Captain to add fuel.
No approval from Dispatch required for reduction of fuel - up to 200 pounds or half the extra (contingency) fuel, whichever is most restrictive. Greater reductions require communication with Dispatcher.

If extra fuel = 500 lbs, Captain can reduce to 300. (down 200)
If extra fuel = 300 lbs, Captain can reduce to 150. (down 1/2 of the extra)

At my company, the PIC must get the concurrence of the dispatcher and an amendment to either add fuel above the gate fuel or go below the takeoff min. In short very little leeway without the dispatcher's agreement

Wouldn't the PIC always have to have his/her release amended when there is a change of fuel?
Think about it:
When there is a change of fuel (more or less, don't matter) there is a change in weight
AND a change in weight means a change in burn
AND a change in burn means a different min fuel number
HENCE
is he/she really legal to go when the min numbers change?

But whatever, I'm happy as long as my FE doesnt crap out on me.

Our release has a statement for the Capt that gives the change in fuel burn for every 200lbs/kgs to weight. That allows the Capt to add/remove fuel and still have an accurate burn.

I never understood why the captain has to notify us if they were taking MORE fuel. But I was never one to argue with the captain. What ever he wants, he can have. No need to argue over everything like some dx'ers feel the need to.
He wants to over load the plane with fuel so he can't push....he can go do the carpet dance.

Bart Simpson said:
Wouldn't the PIC always have to have his/her release amended when there is a change of fuel?
Think about it:
When there is a change of fuel (more or less, don't matter) there is a change in weight
AND a change in weight means a change in burn
AND a change in burn means a different min fuel number
HENCE
is he/she really legal to go when the min numbers change?

But whatever, I'm happy as long as my FE doesnt crap out on me.

Bart, using this logic, we'd be pushing a second release for every flight.

We plan the flight based on current bookings (+3 or +4 depending on aircraft type) and standard checked bag weight for total passengers. So, if we plan the flight for 45 passengers, and only 40 actually show - should we issue another release?

Good point there.
Technically, yes, we would need to "push" a second release right before they start pushback. Aren't we supposed to have operational control?
I'm not saying that I wanna add to our workloads BUT in terms of legalities, aren't we supposed to have a 'good' release?
What happens when you plan a flight with 20 pax and shortly before departure time, an extra 20 pax show up? Is the flight legal? Maybe if you planned it with the actual number of passengers, you would've gotten a warning that the flight will be above landing weight? How is the release legal if we don't even know what the actual min fuel is?
But I concede, I can always become a truckdriver and make tons of cash.

Latest resources

Back