• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ACEY CALLSIGN - Good or Bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always thought that call sign came from Atlantic South East. ASE. Pronounced Acey. Get it?

Ah...right you are. I beleive "ASE" used to be the ATC strip code. Then that stupid guard unit thing twent down about 8 years ago. Then They were cut with all those base cuts less than a year afterwards.

Candler was so stupid.

THEN...when we went back to "acey"...the ATC strip code was changed to "ACY"....but then confusion with the Atlantic City indentifier had it changed to A...uh, damn, I forgot...but it has a "Q" in it I think. I've been gone from ASA for a while......

I think it's ASQ now... But if it were returned to ASE wouldn't that get things confused with Aspen, CO?

Origin of the Candler callsign

Asa Griggs Candler (December 30, 1851 – March 12, 1929) was an American business tycoon who made most of his money selling Coca-Cola. He also served as mayor of Atlanta, Georgia from 1916 to 1919. Candler Field, the site of the present-day Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, was named after him. (Wikipedia)

I suppose that his first name, ASA, was too good a coincidence to pass up.

Yes, it was the old call sign. There was a reserve unit in NM that used it too. We had a few conflicts with in in AMA and LBB. ASA went to Candler as a quick fix.
When this until was disbanded, they changed it back. Problem was that ASE as a ICAO designator was in use in Africa I believe. We chose ASQ and use the current/ old call sign.

It is better than the old one.

I liked the idea of Kudzoo. The imported roadside weed that takes over everything, and is impossible to kill.

Latest resources

Back