• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accellerate the pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm going to follow my own advice. I'm not going to apply to any regional airline until June 15th, at the earliest. I might wait longer than that. I'm not asking others to do anything that I'm not willing to do. Can we count on your support?

Sure thing, good luck.

I agree, it will take you approximately 10 years to get to a job that will allow you to start making QOL a goal in your job search. Pilots get hired at good places because they have Turbine PIC, you must build turbine PIC to have control over your career. You have to go wherever that job is that gets you turbine PIC. You stay in that job until you can get another job that gives you better turbine PIC, i.e. Bigger airplanes, Turbojet, 121, etc. It is called paying your dues everyone must do it. Some do it in the military, some do it at the regionals, and some do in the on-demand business. Everyone pays his or her dues. There are better paying starting jobs out there, like USA Jet 34K to start.

34K ain't enough for a 20 minute call out in YIP, at least at a regional on reserve you get a 90 -120 minute call on reserve.

Slick:

A noble thought, but, given that an average human being is a hopeless sellout and a self centered ego trip (most do tend to select aviation as the career path of choice), I'm afraid that all you'll be doing is throwing away about 100 seniority numbers at any given regional.

Hi!

The regionals are already planning for ab-initio hiring. I would take the job right away, because the pilot shortage is rapidly accelerating, and the regionals are screwed, in the short term, no matter what happens, because it will take several years, at least, to get things back to an even keel.

Almost monthly, the pilot shortage is getting worse and worse. I would love to be in upper mgmt offices of UAL/AA/USAir/NWA when they start hiring. They will NOT be liking what they see on the resumes they get when they begin hiring.

It's a good time to be a pilot.

cliff
YIP

Don't worry, when the FAA passes their user fee proposal and nobody can afford to learn to fly in the first place, the pilot shortage will get really bad, really quick.

I would love to be in upper mgmt offices of UAL/AA/USAir/NWA when they start hiring. They will NOT be liking what they see on the resumes they get when they begin hiring.

I disagree. At the very least the majors will be getting regional captains, probably never dipping below captains with less than a couple years of captain experience.

The Regionals on the other hand, those are upper mgmt offices that will be downright entertaining!

If you new guys/gals are so worried about first year pay at the regionals and want to give them more of a shortage then why not try a different route. I flight instructed, flew freight, and now flying frac. Skipped the whole regional BS. The second I left for the cargo job I was making 6k per year more than a first year regional FO and gaining far far more experience. I flew single pilot 135 IFR for 10 months (piston twins) and my first year in a nice shiny Citation is 35k. Granted still below industry average for Fracs but, only by 5k. And the only time I deal with the TSA is when I go to recurrent or on vacation. Just my .02.

Latest resources

Back