• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accellerate the pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no "pilot shortage". There's a shortage of "qualified pilots". There is a difference. Pilots are out there, the airlines are just lowering their standards to get them. Now pilots who never stood a chance of working for an airline (like part time middle age general aviation guys) can add a wet Commercial to their PP Instrument and go fly an RJ. And they are doing it.

We're going to go back to the early 90s when "commuter pilots" were washed up 40 somethings who used to fly night freight in a Beech 18 and have two DUIs and a couple of FAA violations.

Ok, I know skipping college will probably allow you to get hired into the regionals a few years early so you can start building that coveted jet time. I have one question though, what do you do if you lose your medical? It can happen to anyone, anytime. Without a degree, it's almost a definate go strait back to the local FBO, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Is getting to a $20,000/year job a couple years early worth the risk of being forced into a lineboy position again at age 30? Even FBO managers are required to have degrees now.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Ok, I know skipping college will probably allow you to get hired into the regionals a few years early so you can start building that coveted jet time. I have one question though, what do you do if you lose your medical? It can happen to anyone, anytime. Without a degree, it's almost a definate go strait back to the local FBO, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Is getting to a $20,000/year job a couple years early worth the risk of being forced into a lineboy position again at age 30? Even FBO managers are required to have degrees now.

Or go into airline management...

I have to agree with some of you. When I graduated college there were no regional jobs to be had...I was happy to get a job instructing. Then I busted my A$$ flying 135. Only after a few months did some of the regionals start hiring.

Bottom line...If I had the chance when I graduated college to go straight to a regional, I would have went to the regional.

Latest resources

Back