• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accelerated Flight Crew Crash in AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok - First of all I must say that I am extremely sorry for the survivors. Whatever the reason this plane crashed, the survivors are the ones who are paying the price. Like many of you already have, I can only offer my sympathy in this time of great sorrow and loss to the families affected by this sad event. This will affect them for the rest of their lives. As the young son of a pilot who was killed in an accident, I regretfully know only to well how they feel.

Secondly - I must say that I have not seen the "defender" of AFTC in this or in other discussion groups offer similar condolences. I can only wonder why.

Thirdly - I learned to fly paragliders long before I became interested in general aviation and I think the most important lesson that I took from this time was that of personal responsibility. No one tells us we have to fly. As PIC we must be Pilot in Command.

And Last - FlyinBrian....Did you get that memo on those TPS reports?

Re: Watch the reaction on this one....

Chunk said:
Ask Stu (owner of accelerated) which side of the picket line he was on when he worked at EAL?

When a coupla guys criticized (legitimately) his school, he threatened them that he'd make sure they never got a job!

Real class act.

Chunk

Looking at Stew's philosopy http://www.acceleratedflight.com/about_us.htm.
I see he fly's for Japan Airlines. He probbaly doesn't have to worry about any criticizm crossing the ocean.:eek:

FlyinBrian said:

These instructors have spent their hard earned money and time developing and honing a very special set of skills that they then turn around and sell for less than a Taco folder at Taco Bell.

Now, lets leave us taco folders out of this.:)

Gentleman.

I know a lot of you, lived next to one of you, and have a lot of friends at both Sunbird and Accelerated. I know a lot of the details about this accident. When all the bull$*** is put aside, I think we all know what the real issue here was. In my opinion (and that is all it is) I believe this was classic get-home-itis. The pilots in Nogales had the option of being picked up and brought back but declined. The pilots knew of the problem before they left and decided ON THEIR OWN to fly the aircraft back to Stellar. The nicest people with the best intentions can make mistakes and bad decisions. We can all take a step back as pilots and think of a time when we made a mistake or a bad decision. We have all made a few. We all learn from our mistakes. This was a tragic accident that we can all learn something from.

The important thing is that there none of us are really in a position to pass judgement on any flight school or any instructor. I know that neither of these flight schools would allow an aircraft to fly in an unsafe condition. The examiners had no major findings at AFCT and while Sunbird Aircraft are not museum pieces, they are safe and very well maintained.

The last part of this message goes out to the individuals who were more interested in personal attacks. I find it hard to believe that any Sunbird employee or ex-employee would be so unprofessional as to use this tragedy as an open season to bash AFCT. That would be very poor form. I am very sure that no Sunbird management would be part of it. I know that this has been very hard on everyone involved. I even knew (although not very well) the instructor who was on board. But we lived and now it is up to AFCT to learn. I hope that some things change for the better there and I am sure that they will. However, I personally would go there for twin training without hesitation or fear for my safety or the safety of the aircraft.

Most of the people on this string know the school or knew the victims and we are all emotional about what happened. I hope that we can all use what happened to make ourselves safer, more professional pilots. That is all.

Latest resources

Back