• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ACA's Contingency Plan (Per Tom Moore)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Unamed buyer" is usually a leasing company like ILFC or GECAS who buys the planes and then immediately lease them out. They are either buying on speculation or have a customer who doesn't want to tip its hand. There's nothing to suggest that this order will go to ACA or Virgin America. In fact, those planes will probably be heading overseas.

And I heard we were going to get the retired Concordes from Air France and BA - perfect for that Cinci - Dayton run! :)

The Concrode deal is out....at least as far as BA is concerned.

Mayday

the turtle said:
Branson won't have a unionized shop. He detests them.

What makes you think that an ACA / Branson (or anyone else) relationship will involve any unions? Our MEC has assured us that ACA is well within their rights to start another operation, with an outside investor, and not fall under our "Green Book". That is, as long as ACA does not supply over 50% of the investment income. There was additional scope language in the TA specifically allowing this sort of action on ACA's part. Any guesses as to why it was there? You don't put on a condom unless you're getting ready to f&%$

Put yourself in Tom Moore's shoes for a minute. Assuming you want to start a new operation, will you do it with the current pilot group under ALPA, or with a clean sheet?

Under ALPA he is required to follow our current seniority system, current contractual restrictions and, assuming larger aircraft, staff it with pilots who are on the 10-15 year longevity tier. None of this makes sense for a startup.

With a clean sheet, he is only bound by FAR's, can you say 16 hour duty days, 8 days off, draconian reserve rules, zero soft pay, etc? All pilots would be on the first year scale. He can get rid of any pilot at will. If the current pilot group will be 'rehired' into this new venture, it can be done selectively. Remember that 'list' of 'trouble makers' he keeps. You know, the one that caused a response from Duane Worth a few months ago? What about the 'Pilot Dependability Database'? That could be a very usefull tool in staffing a new venture.

I cannot think of one single reason to staff a new operation under our green book. Then again, I've been wrong in the past and will be wrong again in the future.

iflyhigh said:
I do think United has a right to ask ACA for lower wages. If you look at the current statistics ACA is NO. 1 in cancellation of flight by DOT standards.

So, if ACA gets paid per departure that's what happens. :rolleyes:

ACA flies 50-seat RJs. NWA is either at or close to its limit on 50-seat RJs (which is why most new Pinnacle CRJs are CRJ440s, with 44 seats).

For ACA to fly for NWA would require a change of some sort (either recertify the aircraft for only 44 seats or change NWA scope).

Scope clauses are about as effective stopping RJ's as the Maginot line deterred the Germans - you can always go around. That being said, I haven't heard anything at all about Northwest.

Latest resources

Back