• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

ACARS costs

cesmaf

Total Time
24hrs
Anyone have any idea how much ACARS costs an airline? Any unit of measure would be good -- e.g. fleet cost / month. From the research I’ve found, ARINC or SITA charges on a Kilobits sent/receive, but maybe they’ve moved to something like the cell phone plans of unlimited calls/text messages.
Thanks

Raoul Duke

Total Time
It costs some airlines dollars. perhaps you could also cost it in quarters or dimes. If you were in Mexico you could cost it in pesos in which case you could get a good estimate of multiplying your US cost by 100. good luck

CiFIknow

Total Time
Enough
It costs some airlines dollars. perhaps you could also cost it in quarters or dimes. If you were in Mexico you could cost it in pesos in which case you could get a good estimate of multiplying your US cost by 100. good luck

Useless post. Not that I know what the cost is....

Vingus

Blue Bus Driver
Total Time
+9,000
We used to discuss this too awhile back. Rumor was price per character transmitted vs. monthly charge. The true answer never came out.

I just consider whatever it costs, it's the cost of doing business.

Daddy

Total Time
Enough
I thought I remember hearing it was 10 cents per character and then of course the fixed costs of installation and setup

n757st

It's always sunny in JFK
Total Time
8000+
If I remember right, for a standard message it was roughly 10 cents a message. For an aerodata/weight and balance message, I am sure it would be a bit more.

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Interesting... our acars shows "free text message" where we usually transmit messages. Maybe dispatch is in our "fab five" plan.

climb2slow

F9 busboy
Total Time
8500+
i can't speak for anyone but F9, but we pay a monthly charge for unlimited data, both aerodata weight and balance, and standard acars functions...