aca updates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said surplus.

I went to a roadshow, im not convinced, im voting NO.

Unfortunately i see many of our pilots being swayed by what ALPA National is advising. The problem here is the Bain group. Bain is evaluating compensation for each department of our company against market rates. The market rate they are setting the standard with is Mesa. Bain is not looking at the bottom line bid price. They could care less if we save UAL more in one area vs. pilot pay/work rules. If pilot compensation is not in line with market rates, they will not recommend us for a UEX carrier. By voting no we are going against the grain basically and sending a message to our senior management to convince UAL we can save them more money in other areas without touching pilot compensation. Its unfortunate that UAL might not want to listen and will only listen to what Bain has to tell them. Hopefully a strong no vote will wake some people up.

Last edited:
snip>>

Bain is not looking at the bottom line bid price. They could care less if we save UAL more in one area vs. pilot pay/work rules. If pilot compensation is not in line with market rates, they will not recommend us for a UEX carrier.

I for one do not believe this statement. I cannot believe that United would dump us IF we had the lowest bid, we are already in place but we pay our pilots a little too much more than Bain "thinks" that we should.

Bain in a consulting group and I feel that in the end United will be the one calling ALL of the shots. After all the big guys at UAL are the one that will have to answer to the BOD and the shareholders. How do they explain "well we went with Mesa, they are costing us a couple of million more, but those ACA pilots just make too much money." I simply don't buy it.

It is a given fact that we make more than Mesa pilots, but that thread has been beat to death. I do however feel that we are competetive in probably 75% of the other costs in the bid. I do think that we have been particulary agressive with aircraft financing and that is why we weren't taking anymore planes. I don't think it is because we couldn't finance more but just not at the great rates were were accustomed to.

So in the end I feel United WILL be looking at the bottom line only and not line by line. This is Bains job and by doing this, it only brings the bottom line lower which is what United wants.

Vote on June 12th

Two weeks ago I would have said the vast majority of people I had spoken to or saw on message boards were going to vote NO. Now I would still say it's still a majority but things have changed quite a bit since the roadshows which is not surprising but it is. I can't believe that anyone that attended a roadshow found out ANY information that was new or compelling for taking paycuts.

ACABlueridge said:
snip>>

Bain is not looking at the bottom line bid price. They could care less if we save UAL more in one area vs. pilot pay/work rules. If pilot compensation is not in line with market rates, they will not recommend us for a UEX carrier.

I for one do not believe this statement. I cannot believe that United would dump us IF we had the lowest bid, we are already in place but we pay our pilots a little too much more than Bain "thinks" that we should.

Thats what it is going to boil down to, who believes it and who does not. UAL is not known for making rational decisions, but i feel they will look at the bottom line vs. Bain recommendations if we can come in cheaper despite not taking concessions. I believe we can after we vote this TA down. Our senior management isnt going to throw their hands up and say, "Well we tried" then let us die. Im willing to roll the dice. The MEC got the best they could without venturing more into the unknown. After numerous rounds of fighting, walking away, attempts at proposals, etc, they agreed to the TA to let us determine our own fate.

Last edited:
RJPILOT

I agree wholeheartedly. Bain is merely a consulting group....and can only make recommendations. Ultimately, the financial brass from UAL has the authority to select UEX partners...and this will be done, IMHO, on a basis of total cost. The line item method employed by Bain is nothing more than a nifty mechanism to further drive down the cost of the regionals....kinda tantamount to wringing a washcloth dry. We can vote this TA down & live to tell about it. If we do, unless UAL magically emerges from Ch. 11 protection, then we most certainly will be presented with another TA. We haven't seen the last of them I can assure you.

A Firm NO Vote

Blueridgeflyer

Based upon my previous posts regarding the fun and games over at CHQ, you all may have credibility issues with the following:

One of our guys (in a position to know this) has reported that Mr. Bedford (Pres/CEO Republic Airways Holdings) and Mr. Hanley (Pres/CEO Republic Airlines) have recently made several trips from IND-ORD as the guest of UAL.

Like I say, consider the source and take it for what it is worth.

Last edited:
Yeah, we thought so too. Just rumor, but from a well placed source; an accidental mole.

Have your MEC call our MEC:

800-747-2313, Ext. 1605

Last edited:
Race to the bottom...

The majors ask for cuts, the regionals cave in, then the majors ask for more cuts because Chat and Mesa are lower, so rates go lower, then the majors say "we got to cut some more" then the regionals will begin paying the majors to fly their pax's, untill the owners say "we are broke", Park the fleet.

Eastern, PanAm,Brannif, Southern, Peoples', New york
air, Avianca, Panagra, Varig etc.

Brings memories?

The majors are dead meat.

LUV AAIR FRNT JBLU are in.

I predict that soon, one regional will order a ton of 37's and begin to feed itself and tell the majors "so long".

Think what would happen if LUV had its own feed.

Something is got to give and soon.

Keep the shinny side up.:confused:

You have nothing to gain by voting yes - and nothing to loose by voting no. Diesel is right. Don't lead the race to the bottom.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back