• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ACA to go it alone!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe this was just a gutsy management move.

United, ACA still may reach agreement
Dateline: Wednesday August 06, 2003

Despite Atlantic Coast Airlines' decision to become an independent low-fare carrier and end its participation in the United Express codesharing program (ATWOnline, July 29), United Airlines said ACA still is interested in talking about a new long-term relationship.

"We will meet with them [ACA] soon in an effort to restart these negotiations," a UA official told other executives during an internal meeting last week. United also implied that it is somewhat in control of the Regional's future. "ACA is still under contract with United Airlines and will continue to operate as a United Express partner until we either reach a new agreement or we decide to end the relationship," the official said. "Again, I want to emphasize there is no imminent change here."
United and ACA failed to come to agreement on a new contract after months of negotiating, prompting ACA to make the decision to go it alone as a low-fare carrier. UA has reached new codesharing agreements with SkyWest Airlines, Air Wisconsin, Trans States Airlines and Mesa Air Group to operate as United Express partners.

A company official said the Major's preferred outcome from the dispute is a "mutually beneficial agreement that keeps ACA in place serving United Express customers in Chicago and [Washington] Dulles." But it reaffirmed that it has "alternative plans" that would provide continuity of service should it fail to reach a deal with ACA.--LF

I believe things are "fluid" at the moment. Will the J41's stay? Will the 737 dreams be dashed? We'll see after the commercial break.....

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

I second House_X's motion....

I met a crew from ACA today and as I walked in the ops area, her beaming smile hit me, and she said Hello....I said, "that's it!" the look that will win customers, the one that Piedmont airlines had in the 70's and the ones that radiate and ooze customer service.

I applaud their decision and do it again here. the model works , low prices are here to stay, and ACA will make it! and it will be the people of ACA from janitor to the top who will decide if they win the game.

NYRANGERS said:
Maybe this was just a gutsy management move.

United, ACA still may reach agreement
Dateline: Wednesday August 06, 2003

Despite Atlantic Coast Airlines' decision to become an independent low-fare carrier and end its participation in the United Express codesharing program (ATWOnline, July 29), United Airlines said ACA still is interested in talking about a new long-term relationship.

.--LF

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

It is quite possible that we will keep flying for UAL (and thus keep the J-41's) AND get our 757/737/Airbus. The LCC (under Atlantic Coast - NOT United) is a go and no matter how much you want to deny it, it is going to happen. Nothing that UAL or DAL can do to stop us getting bigger airplanes - and its time to make the jump to the next higher level.

Last edited:
46driver,

If you compete directly with DAL with your new LCC, they will probably drop the other half of you feed--at CVG. Sure, we might have to take on the DO-328J leases, but we will train people fast--and you will furlough many. It is great to have dreams, but remember----there is a contract in place that can be broken.

General Lee said:
46driver,

If you compete directly with DAL with your new LCC, they will probably drop the other half of you feed--at CVG. Sure, we might have to take on the DO-328J leases, but we will train people fast--and you will furlough many. It is great to have dreams, but remember----there is a contract in place that can be broken.

General, dreams are what drive us. Whether they come to fruition or are squandered in red tape - in ACA's case I believe the facts speak for themselves, it can suceed. I'm not so worried about our 'reliable' 30 DoJets on the DAL side - it represents 15% of revenue. You can have them. And I won't forget to wave to ya from our mighty 737/A320???? Blue Skies ahead.

Fair enough,

Say ACAI brings larger aircraft on property by 5/04 and begins operating them.

DAL can take the aircraft leases if they break the contract. That would be say 6 months to a year to train ASA or Comair pilots and transition the aircraft.

So by 5/05 one of the Delta connection wholly owned carriers will have control of the Do328s. Depending on how many larger narrowbody aircraft we lease their may be no furloughs.

I hope DAL does take the FRJs. With just two fleet types, one hub, and everyone focused on one goal, it gives us a better chance of success.

46Driver said:
It is quite possible that we will keep flying for UAL (and thus keep the J-41's) AND get our 757/737/Airbus. The LCC (under Atlantic Coast - NOT United) is a go and no matter how much you want to deny it, it is going to happen. Nothing that UAL or DAL can do to stop us getting bigger airplanes - and its time to make the jump to the next higher level.

Damm! That must be mighty fine kool-aid they serve over there...

Drink up!

:D

Latest resources

Back