ACA, should I go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I just read on another thread that Air WI is rumored to start hiring in Oct/Nov. AWAC is ALMOST as good as a major. Get out of the USAir system ASAP!

CLiff
GRB

rumor has it that when US Air goes belly up that Piedmont has investors that are going to buy them and then make them a new airline on the east coast. What do you guys think of this idea?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

It is a very hard call to give up senority. I am in a similar situation and if the call came from ACA I would jump ship for a couple of reasons.

1. I want to be on a property that has jets. PDT, PSA and ALG do not have them. We all know that jets are the future.

2. Do you trust our buddy, Dave (Seigel) to look out for us? I do not!!! Oh, but he did give us free term passes. I am just waiting to see what that will cost us?

3. Does the Mainline care if the Jets go to Mesa or PDT, PSA, ALG? I have heard Chautauqua is getting more 20 ERJ's by DEC. (Rumor I don't know) All they care is that they go to the cheapest operator? I think we all know who that will be!

4. What happens when the leases come up on the existing Dash 8’s?

5. What is the upgrade time at PDT, ALG, or PSA?

6. What is the upgrade time at ACA?

7. With almost every other regional flying Jet, are you going to be as competitive down the road? Jetblue is looking for Jet time now not turboprop? (It is a buyers market)

My 2 cents if I had the chance I WOULD. It sounds like you have made something happen. i.e. and interview with ACA. Why not capitalize on it? Nothing is for sure in this world but from where I am sitting ACA offers a better future than PDT, ALG or PSA.

I have been in class for 3 days now. Seeing whats projected here, I am glad I have a number now. The revised perjections are 250 the rest of the year. And next year 500-1000 thousand. There expected to have all jets by 2004.

Terry V.
ACA

Hi!

Anaconda:

I believe that ACA, ASA, Comair, and I would add SkyWest are very good regionals, with Air WI being head and shoulders above them due to their better pay, work rules, and their "B" plan retirement. I believe the relationship between management and their pilots is also better. Note: The only 2 airlines I've heard of in the last 2 years that didn't have a lot of bitching by pilots about their airline are Air WI and SWA. I have spent a lot of time the last 2 years researching all of them, and I believe that Air WI is the clear leader.

I realize that everyone has their own opinion. One "problem" with Air WI is that their only bases are ORD and DEN (Appleton, WI, is going away).

I had an interview with ACA and didn't make it (I was called back recently, but have a better job (for me) right now). I tried to get interviews with ASA and Comair, but didn't have recent flying experience, and couldn't get an interview.

I was hired by TSA, which I liked, but they are definitely a cut below ACA/ASA/Comair.

Good luck to you!

Cliff
GRB

I work with some Air Wis guys in the Reserves, and they seem to like the company. But, I would have to agree with Anaconda on that Comair seems to be along side them, not behind....(just from what I have heard, and seen)

Here's the comparison according to Air Inc (of course they could be full of crap)

First year pay (per month): 1,555/1,826 (depending on AC) AW; 1,680 Comair
Second year pay: 1781/2580 AW; 2,110/2,682/2,962 (EMB120/CRJ200/CRJ700) Comair
(long story, short, it looks like Comair has a little better pay overall even when you jump into Captain.....)

Guarantee pay: 75/65 AW (Line/Reserve); 75/75 Comair (line/reserve)

Per Diem: 1.35 AW; 1.60 Comair

Pay Bank: NO AW; Yes Comair

Deadhead Pay Credit: 1 for 2 AW; 1 for 1 Comair

Min days off: 12/11 AW (line/reserve); 11/11 Comair (line/Reserve)

Duty Rig: 1 for 2 AW; 1 for 2 Comair
Trip Rig: 1 for 3.5 AW; 1 for 3.75 Comair
Min Pay Credit: 2:30 AW; 4:20 Comair
Vacation days: 1st yr 7 days AW; 42 hrs comair
2-5 yr 14 days AW; 42 hrs Comair

Pay for trips while on vacation: Yes AW; No Comair

Overall, I would say you take the pros and cons of each company and you have two fairly equal companies as far as benefits.....

Keep in mind, this info is from a 3rd party source, and may not be completly correct ...if you have any changes please by all means correct me.....

Last edited:
good comparison richO...i just find it hard to stomach that AW is "head and shoulders" above comair. that's a pretty bold statement in my book, i just think it comes down more to individual preference.

do your stats for AW take into account their new contract, or are those pre-contract #'s?

Off the top of my head, some of those numbers are from the old contract. I would imagine Air Inc. is incorrect as usual. The current per diem is $1.50/hr. Guarantee is 75hrs no matter what (reserve, line holder, etc...not including training department). What year of Comair's contract are we talking about here? Current year or somewhere down the road? The key to our "rigs" is that we are always paid the "greater of". I find it hard to believe that Comair has a minimum pay credit of 4:20 when they only have a 75hr guarantee and 11 days off guaranteed. The math does not compute. RichO, what can I say, Air Inc is full of discrepancies. I wonder what Comair actually gets as I'm sure Air Inc. have wrong figures for them too.

Latest resources

Back