• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ACA or ASA career advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't speak for ACA, but ASA is a great place to work!

I happened to be in Flight Safety when our President "skip" Barnett was just hanging out talking to some pilots about the latest and greatest. The 70 seat will be on property sometime in the next couple of weeks and on-line by April 1st. We are accepting 7 new RJ's this month and a total of 27 this year. We are retiring some EMB's so the net gain is something like 14 airplanes. We are supposed to be integrating all of the hubs soon, right now SKW is pillaging DFW and ACA seems to be doing alot in CVG. It is a stable place with "mother Delta writing the checks" and Delta has stated they are going to concentrate on the growth in the ATL hub so it should be good for us also.

The only "unknown" is the contract wich expires in September so who knows what will happen with that.

Good luck

The first question would which one has offered you a sooner class date. I know ASA is starting newhire classes in Feb and the training department says they are being told to prepare for "40 newhires a month until further notice".
I know nothing about ACA, but at ASA your chances of being furloughed are very slim. We have excellent benefits (identical to Delta employees) and fly some pretty good equipment. The pay isn't bad at $19.02 for a first year FO, regardless of equipment. 2nd year is ~$26 for an E120 FO and ~$32 for a CRJ FO. Our contract is amendable in September, so things may get "interesting" for a while.
You have an excellent chance of going to the jet right out of newhire class, but you may get the E120. It all depends on what the current needs are. The same goes for domicile. We have ATL and DFW, but I think more FOs are needed in DFW, so you may have to go there for a couple months.
Feel free to email or PM me if you need more info.
Good luck.

ACA has not had a class since 9/11...when were you hired? From my understanding, they stopped interviewing after 9/11.

ACA is the only airline i've been hired by but the experience was horrible. By the time i finished training with them i hated them so much i left the company. Call me a fool but i believe you oght to be happy where you work! Go to ASA !

ASARJFO,

How did you get hired with less than the 1200 mins?
I'm curious. have they hired anyone with less?
I will have 1200 atleast by the summer. I work on the ramp for
Delta, not that it matters, but I do have some connections in Atlanta with ASA.

rogerroger said:
Hired by both airlines and can't decide where to go. need any good input. Thanks

I personally know nothing about ASA, however, 6 of my friends from MIDWAY went to ACA after we went down the tubes, and 5 of them have left already saying that it is an absolutely miserable place to be. Training by intimidation seems to be the norm there. One of my friends was told to expect around 4 years to upgrade.
Needless to say, he was one of the first to go. As for my 6th friend, he also is looking to get out of there. I just want to stress that these are NOT personal experiences of my own, but of people I used to work work with. In talking with all of them,the thread of discontent seems to be pretty common.
I don't know much about ASA, but I have NEVER heard anything like what I have just told you about ACA. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!:cool: :cool:

CaptBuzzard said:
ASARJFO,

How did you get hired with less than the 1200 mins?
I'm curious. have they hired anyone with less?
I will have 1200 atleast by the summer. I work on the ramp for
Delta, not that it matters, but I do have some connections in Atlanta with ASA.

Not to dash your hopes but...

He was most likely hired thru either the Flight Saftey or ATA programs, or thru a bridge program like we had with ERAU. To my knowledge, these programs are over with, as we don't have a shortage of applicants for the time being. We may still have some Flight Saftey guys swimming in the pool, but I think that will be it for a while.

I believe our mins rest at 1200 and 200. However, with the current state of the industry (and even before 9-11) we are generally not hiring low time pilots off the street. Most of our new hires have 121 or 135 experience, and more than the minimum times.

I'm sorry to say that the hiring party of '99-'00 is over. Back to the days of teaching forever, then flying 135, then maybe getting an airline job.

That being said, it never hurts to try...

I've heard AirNet is hiring...

It's tough

Pilotboy

I really hope you didn't leave ACA on account of the training department. Sure it can suck, but beyond that the company is a good place to be. Management (Upper) knows how to make money (even in lean times) and the work rules and pay are among the best in the "regional" industry. Not to mention the fact that leaving an airline job right now might be detrimental to your career. But to each his own....just hoping you didn't quit because you hated training. Everybody does....simulator training at any airline is very intense. It can make you want to go become an engineer! Good luck.

reply to jboss

hey jboss your right !

I hope i didn't make the wrong decision but i was utterly miserable there at ACA. Im trying to find another job now and it's not easy like you said. I understand how leaving a job now can further retard my career a bit but i don't know how it can be such a bad thing. Is it considered so wrong to leave when your not happy at a job as a pilot for a particular airline? I've been told that its not such a bad thing. I staying hopefull that something will come along my way and i'll be able to earn a living doing what i love. Laters

Latest resources

Back