ACA or ASA career advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying500agl,
Yes, our skeds manager is a real case. I really can't say enough about how this person has managed to destroy morale.
Yes, Oscar is a J41 instructor/check airman. He's a hell of a guy. I really wish we had nothing but Oscars here. I think they'll be displacing him soon, as the 41 is on the way out. I think he's going to the DoJet. Hey, try to keep that Dash out of our way! We haven't got all day! (LOL) Fly safe.
Terry

Man, I've never heard much bad come from ASA pilots, mostly praise. But these boards are always full of people shi##ing on ACA.
-Dog

DASH slow = paid by the hour

acaTerry,

I’ll get the Dash out of your way when you shut that noise maker of an airplane you fly off. Between you guys and Trans states in BWI I'm going deaf. (lol)

Happy flying

PS - Now get out there and hand spin the props, wouldn't want your engines to corrode and fall off - then it would be real quiet.

Why fly a fast airplane, the passengers paid for an airplane ride didn't they?

rogerroger,

I have been with ACA for five years and it's a great company to work for. I highly recommend it.

I'm not management, I'm not in the training department, and I do not drink the Kool-aid. I just happen to like my job and the company I work for. ACA is going through some growing pains and some middle management people stink, but the company as a whole is moving in the right direction. For those so unhappy and miserable, go back just three years and compare how much things have improved.

As a captain for the last 3.5 years my decision to go/no go has never been questioned and no one has lost thier job because they made a decision on the side of safety. Yes, as a captain, sometimes you do have to put your foot down. Thats why you make the big (relative term) bucks. Yes, it is our responsibilty to know and understand our contract and fly it to the word.

As for the interview process. I have been on the interview board for two years. It's by no means perfect, but when I see the pilots that I've interviewed on line, they all say that ACA was a good interview experience. I have a feeling the people talking bad about the interview at ACA are people that didn't make the cut. Also the recruiting department must be doing something right. Even the few unhappy and miserable pilots say the pilot group is very good.

Good Luck Rogerroger

Last edited:
I'd also like to say how happy I am at ACA. Just like others have said it has its problems but they are growing pains. If I was a senior captain in the top 1/3 of the list I'd be pi*sed too about the Do-jet schedules but as a new hire you may never see a reserve month. Things are changing everyday here. They just confirmed a new CVG base for the Do-jet by May. This was part of the problem about the schedules - we were trying to run CVG out of LGA and no trip pairings looked good resulting in low block. CVG should really satisfy this problem. So if you're a commuter you now potentially have IAD, ORD, LGA, BOS, and CVG. Plus the Delta side will finally get United WYO's.

All in all this company is going places. You're going to hear complaints but all pilots are mastering the art of bit*hing everyday.

People who complain about ACA need to hit the streets and behold the furlough carnage sprawled out as far as the eye can see.

House

The CVG base, unless I read an announcement with a typo, actually opens today. It will be on the DAL side.
Now if we can get some confirmation on the vicious rumor about DEN.......
Any ACA people out here, check the ALPA boards about our chief pilots conversation with a crew on the way to BOS. Sounds like there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Having dealt personally with our system chief pilot, and finding him genuinely concerned about pilot issues (after all, he is ex-Eastern), I can believe what was posted. Let's hope the ball is rolling.

I usually don't post here, but I think I'll stand up for my company. I've been at ACA for 3 years, and like my cohort, am not an instructor, am not in management (and have NO desire to do so), and definately do not drink the kewl-aid.

Believe me, I'll bitch about this place as much as the next guy. But then when I talk to my friends at ASA, Coex, Eagle, and Mesa, they bitch about things I'd never even dream of happening at ACA (getting questioned about a safety of flight issue? gimmeabreak).

Things are turning around here, with plans to hire several hundred this year (interviews start in a few weeks). With the new CVG base, the lines in LGA should improve (but there will be a shake-up in base seniority lists in the short term). Delta guys just got UAL WYOs so we're back to having one of the best travel benefit packages in the industry. That "sick policy" will never hold. It comes out every year or so this time of year and is shot down. It's practically illegal (so I'm told, I'm not a lawyer).

Training time has improved dramatically and will hopefully be so during the new hiring phase. I've never flown the CRJ, but apparently they've done away with the 10,000 memory item checklist and now have a QRC and QRH like the rest of the fleet types on property.

Plus, and I know this is the last thing to (actually you shouldn't even) consider, but it's a nice feeling to lower the nose to 4500fpm so you can let the plane accelerate to 250kts..... :D

Patriot

Patriot328,
I too lower the nose of my 41 to 4500 fpm to get 250 kts.....but I have to lower it to a DESCENT!!!!
Finally got to check one out (a 328). What a plane!

Latest resources

Back