ACA incident at ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

Does anyone know exactly what happend at ORD yesterday with the ACA jet and an "employee bus"? The news isn't really explaining it very well over here (figures right?). All they say is that a jet and bus collided on the runway (which I seriously doubt). They are making it seem like it was a huge accident and a big deal. I doubt it was as serious as they are making it seem. Just wondering if anyone here could explain what happend a little clearer than what i've been getting from the news.

Thanks

This in from FOX News

United Airlines Commuter Plane Collides with Bus
(10/25/02 - Chicago) -- Things went bump in the night at O'Hare International Airport when a United Airlines commuter plane collided with a shuttle bus. A United spokesman says four people went to hospitals with minor injuries. The plane, operated by Atlantic Coast Airlines, had just left its gate when the accident happened about 8:30 last night.

CBS says the 4 injured were the bus driver (only occupant of the bus), 2 pax, and the FA.

Last edited:
CHICAGO -- A United Airlines commuter jet bound for Portland, Maine, collided with a United shuttle bus at O'Hare International Airport, a United spokesman said. Four people were slightly injured.

The United Express plane, Flight 7719 -- operated by Atlantic Coast Airlines -- was just leaving the gate between 9:30-10 p.m. EDT Thursday when the two vehicles collided, said Chris Brathwaite, a United spokesman.

Forty-six passengers and three crew members were on board, Brathwaite said. Two passengers, a flight attendant and the bus driver were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, Brathwaite said.

The bus driver, a United employee, got a bump on her head, he said. She was the only person on the bus.

Brathwaite said authorities still aren't clear which craft hit the other.

Brathwaite said the remaining passengers boarded a different plane and resumed their flight.

Chicago Department of Aviation spokeswoman Monique Bond said the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the incident.

Associated Press

F*cking ground vehicles! Hmmm, who has the right of way?

Does anyone know if the ACA jet was getting a pushback from a ground vehicle or were they already away from the gate and taxiing under their own power??? Do those jets even get pushbacks, or are they far enough from the terminal to taxi away without one?

I love how the media portrays the CRJ as a "commuter plane"... that must mean my airplane (328jet) must be a crop duster...
the funny thing is that the Dornier has more pax seat room than most "real airplanes"....

It is a commuter airplane. So is the CRJ700. No mainline airline operates them thus it's a commuter/connection/express/or regional aircraft. Don't get wrapped up in a word. The only thing that matters is your contract. ACA has the best one in the industry to fly that commuter aircraft.

ACA's Comments

Here is ACA's comment regarding the incident in ORD as posted in company internal communication.

Names removed to protect the innocent.

---------------

UAL EMPLOYEE SHUTTLE HITS ACA CRJ ON ORD TAXIWAY

One of Most-Recently-Acquired Aircraft Extensively Damaged
A shuttle bus for United Airlines employees last night collided with an ACA CRJ carrying 46 revenue passengers and three non-revs at O'Hare International Airport, injuring the bus driver and three people aboard the plane

According to Director of Safety ***** *****, A/C 681BR, operating as Flight 7719 (ORD-PWM) was heading west on taxiway Bravo at about 8:30 pm. A UAL crew bus with no passengers aboard was heading southwest on a service road. At intersection A7/8, the bus and A/C impacted about two feet behind the FO window—by the service door—causing extensive damage to the A/C.

Crewmembers **** ***** (CRJ CA-IAD), ***** **** (CRJ FO-IAD) and **** ***** (FA-IAD), as well as the bus driver and one passenger, were transported to the hospital, where they were treated and released. The crewmembers are currently resting in the crew hotel. The remaining passengers were transported to PWM by a replacement crew and aircraft.

ACA Safety and Maintenance—along with UAL and ALPA—are participating in the investigation with the NTSB and FAA.

I'm not surprised - those UAL employee busses from the North parking lot are always cutting in-n-out, especially when coming in from the Northport down the B-line to southport.

At least no one was seriously injured. Remember several years ago (1997 I think) a B727 freighter crew at DEN got severely injured up when a bus ran into the nose at a high rate of speed - if you liken a nose-on aspect to a face, it was as if someone took the jawbone right off.

if I recall correctly, the flight crew's careers were ended due to their injuries, at least the captain's and F/O's was.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back