• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pilotboy,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and quite frankly, I am appalled because it isn't the first time I've heard this story. I worked for ACA between 1993-96 and things were much different then. Training was a great experience for us, and a large percentage of the pilots made it through.

Regardless of the past, DO NOT allow this one bad experience to hinder your performance the next time around. It's a done deal now, and you know you are capable of greater things. You made a choice based on the information and circumstances at the time, and now you will need to deal with them, but make no mistake, opportunity will present itself again.

It's up to you as to how you will handle it the next time around. Learn from this experience and use it to your advantage.

Regards,

750driver

Last edited:
750driver,

hey , thanks for the positive news. It means alot to me ! And im sure to play it differently next time.

Pilotboy,

Don't worry about this. ACA is not the cream of the crop.
You will find much better employment than that pilot beater company.

I was at Comair during the strike and interviewed with a few regionals. ACA was the absolute worst! The dudes conducting the interviews were just so smug. Complete Aholes in my book.

You will find a place to fly that will appreciate you as a person and a pilot.

For you brainwashed ACA ra ra's, yes I was offered a job. Told them to go to hell.

Pilotboy, when you get 2500 total and 500 multi give exec jet a call. It was the smartest thing I ever did. Hang in there bud!

Bebop!,

Hey thanks alot buddy. Im glad im not alone when it comes to what i think about ACA. And as far as the hours....? I will get the hours eventually and i'll work in a place they do value the pilots. Thanks again for the positive news! take care .

Bebop

Sure ACA's got its problems, but I think your "experience" there is rare. Most people consider the interview to be one of the most laid back and friendly interviews around. Maybe you just had a personality conflict with the interviewers. In any case, telling them to "go to hell" either literaly or figuratively might not have been the best of ideas. Never burn bridges in this business, cause what goes around comes around. Good luck with that attitude.

"Well to anwser your question.. There are 11 sim modules and then the checkride. I got to the 11 sim and then i decided to quit because it just seemed that everything i did was wrong to them. I know im a good pilot and i was told that i was going pretty good from other people but i thought they were going to let me go so i quit instead. I didn't see any other way out. thanks for your resposes guys! goodluck"

You expect us to believe that after reaching sim 11, the one before the checkride, you turned and said "I quit"! Two points here - one, if the IP let you make it to sim 11 he/she must have felt you were prepared for the checkride and two, no one likes or wants a quitter. What, are you going to quit on your your crew and passengers because it's "just not fair that we lost an engine before v1...waaaaaaaaaaaaa"!

With an attitude like yours I'm glad your not at ACA or any airline for that matter.

Fly safely, but don't whine about it.

Excuse me Cappy

But remember it was I that was there and I was the one that was training at ACA. I don't recall you being there to notice my attitude. Anyways, I have a good attitude and all i want to be is a pilot. I don;t think you should be bashing people here for theres attitude when you don't really know them. Im going to quote here : "when you've got nothing nice to say say nothing at all" this applies to you Cappy. And actually my V1 cuts were very good thank you very much! And another thing...! Im not whining in here im just sharing my experience with others so they know about ACA.. I am not the only one who feels this way about them.

Again I will restate my concerns here:

one - You, and I mean you alone and not the IP, decided that it was not worth your while to continue with one more sim and a checkride...and for what? How many seniority numbers did you lose? Let me see here...if you were hired in July 2001 right now you would be half-way up the CRJ FO list at ACA and able to hold Captain in the 328 Jet within 12 months. And you expect me and others to believe that you "quit" on your terms?

two - Again I say, why are you such a quitter when there are others willing to stick it out for the right seat of a great airplane? For those who wanted the right seat at ACA I am sorry that pilotboy took it only to quit at the moment of truth.

Tell you what, you send me a private e-mail with your name and I'll take a look at your training folder and e-mail you with what I found. Sounds fair to me.

Yes Pilotboy, the training department was going through a very difficullt transition to a new facility, new sims, new instructors and to add to it all a record number of new-hires you can see, and ACA new, that problems were bound to occur. Given that it just doesn't make any sense to me that you would get that far in ANY training program if the company didn't feel you could make it.

This is not meant as a personal slam Pilotboy but I have tell you and all reading this post that the training at ACA has dramatically improved and we will be hiring soon...quitters need not apply.

Fly Safe

pilotboy,

With all due respects I think you already know what a big mistake you made. Cappy is right on all points, but I can relate to the whole training mess you experienced. I was a new hire late 00'. I spent 8 months on a Dornier 328 training 'vacation'. However, I approached the whole experinece in a much more postive tone, something that's is certainly paying off now.

First off, our class also had an inept instructor but the class pulled together. As a new FO you are trained to proficiency (unless your totally lost) - you should have known this and taken the pressure off yourself. With this in mind I'm still a little suspicious as to why you decided to leave at the end.

Secondly, as time wore on I knew I had a seniority number and was getting paid (FO pay after 75 days here). Yeah, I was losing out on time building but seniority is EVERYTHING and that would determine when I go CA in the end anyway.

As far as putting the company down for your training experience - easy target. It certainly had it's problems but I would never have left unless I had another offer on the table. Many have left in the middle of training before but only to go right into another ground school somehwere else. Of course, the industry was still going strong last summer maybe you though you had another option.

Bottom line, ACA is a great company, along with ASA, Comair, and Skywest. These would be my top choices. You want to make minimal company changes in your career for seniority sakes. Therefore, you go with the strong and growing companies - of course no one knows what will happen down the road you have to form an educated opinion. Leaving ACA because of some difficulties that could have been smoothed over time is certainly not the answer.

Go into your next ground school headstrong and with a positive outlook. Nobody's going to smother you with praise on your performance - you just have to get through. Cause once your on-line it's a great time!

pilotboy said:
Bebop!,

Hey thanks alot buddy. Im glad im not alone when it comes to what i think about ACA. And as far as the hours....? I will get the hours eventually and i'll work in a place they do value the pilots. Thanks again for the positive news! take care .

So you think you are going to find a company out there that "values" its pilots? On the outside that might appear so like at Southwest. But they have their problems too. And dont even get me started on Comair. The management and polots have hated each other for years. In all honesty you are shown value only through the company's willingness to abide by your current CBA.

Please don't take offence at my previous posts. I admit I might have sounded too harsh. Consider mustering the courage to give ACA one more try. Just because it did not work out the first time does not mean you will not be re-hired. And the latest hiring for this year is a minimum of 250...maybe 350. Once here you will find a company and pilot group working hard to make all areas better. It will only be as good as make it.

Post Safely!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back