• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX's Future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cappy has a contract with DHL in MIA for 2 75's. Its buisness as normal for us since we were operating 72's there already all they did was replace it. No Domicile we are all still home based.

ATI made miami a domicile, not sure how they circumnavigated the contract to do that. The Union was encouraging members not to bid. But sure enough 4 junior FO's bid it and now they are going to be 76 capts based in MIA.

For what its worth sounds like DHL is very happy with the 75 I dont think 76s are coming to Cappy at all. CAM has the contract for 6 75s total. 2 go to Cappy and 4 get operated in DHL colors using central america pilots (replacing their 72s).

As far as wilmington. We took one of our 72s there for Maint a few months ago. Ive heard that as soon as our contract is up in JAX we will start taking 72s there for c checks. Keeps the money all in the same company, and utilizes company resources. Im sure the Maint is going to have to justify its existence which means generating its own revenue through contracts to other carriers.

So 4 more 757's are coming into CAM and they will be dry-leased to a Central American DHL company? Why would they just not have Cappy fly them? Sorry for the 20 questions. I am just trying to get a grasp of this whole 3 airline-leasing company-logistics-all rolled into one holding company system.

EDIT: I had also seen the ATSG job posting looking for a mgr. mainly to handle the 747 you guys will be seeing in Toledo (maybe its the one already going there, I had just seen a pharmaceutical 747 feeding TOL). I guess you guys will be distributing that across the states when it comes in from Europe. Do you guys hear any rumors of increased EU flights other than that 747? Thanks!

Last edited:
So 4 more 757's are coming into CAM and they will be dry-leased to a Central American DHL company? Why would they just not have Cappy fly them? Sorry for the 20 questions. I am just trying to get a grasp of this whole 3 airline-leasing company-logistics-all rolled into one holding company system.

EDIT: I had also seen the ATSG job posting looking for a mgr. mainly to handle the 747 you guys will be seeing in Toledo (maybe its the one already going there, I had just seen a pharmaceutical 747 feeding TOL). I guess you guys will be distributing that across the states when it comes in from Europe. Do you guys hear any rumors of increased EU flights other than that 747? Thanks!

The central american 72s are getting old and are due for replacement. DHL originally wanted 5 75s and we would only operate 1 but the company only agreed to operating a 75 if we could have 2 to make it cost effective. DHL needs the other 4 in various countries (think 2 in Panama, 1 in Venezuala, and 1 in Guatamala) for all the landing rights. Thats why they need 1 operated by a us carrier (cappy).

I dont know if they will increase 74 activity in toledo. 1 operated by atlas comes in 3 times a week from germany, and usually you will see some more come in for peak.

Heard from an ABX crew the other day that a 76 was suppose to start operating from asia to anc to toledo. I dont know of anymore possible flying besides that.

Before ATSG I know Fox was traveling alot and meeting with alot of foriegn carriers to try and get the aircraft to start landing in Toledo and letting Bax forward the freight. Maybe this is startng to happen.

ATI made miami a domicile, not sure how they circumnavigated the contract to do that. The Union was encouraging members not to bid. But sure enough 4 junior FO's bid it and now they are going to be 76 capts based in MIA.

The company didn't circumvent the contract, they did exactly what our existing contract permitted them to do. This contract is 4 1/2 years past it's intended life. We figured we'd be well into our second negotiated contract, one with home basing exclusively. Our current contract protects only the DC-8 for home basing, and there's even an out for the company to establish DC-8 bases given the right set of circumstances. A huge chunk of what's driving the Nov 4 strike vote authorization is this basing issue. With the notable exception of our overall pay scales, nearly every aspect of our current contract, which started up in 2000, was/is either concessionary or status quo when compared to our pre-contract days. Enough of us bought into the "we can't survive, blah blah blah", went straight to the compensation section, liked what we saw there, and voted it in. The company's ability to establish bases for other than DC-8s at their discretion is/was perhaps our biggest failing for and by us with this contract. The results of the strike vote authorization will be a big indicator of our solidarity.

Latest resources

Back