Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erichartmann

Freight Dog
There has been a great deal of discussion regarding the relative on time performance of the two carriers for quite a while. I looked at last nights arrivals into KILN using "Flight Aware" and the published scheduled arrival times. I counted a flight as "late" if its arrival was more than 15 minutes after its published scheduled arrival time.

On this basis, ABX had 6 late flights out of a scheduled 63.

Astar had 7 late out of a scheduled 31.

ABX appears to have operated 5 "extra sections" i.e. flights which were not on the published schedule.

Astar operated 6 "extra sections".

3 of Astar's flights appear to have not operated at all.

All of ABX's scheduled flights appear to have flown.

Caution: This may not be representative of the normal or standard performance of either carrier.

I have not yet looked at outstation arrival performance.

I don't know what this will gain...

Absolutely nothing. Perhaps I should point out the 767's taxing at "dead slow" Eric? Why start another bit!hing war? No purpose at all.

Absolutely nothing. Perhaps I should point out the 767's taxing at "dead slow" Eric? Why start another bit!hing war? No purpose at all.

I got tired of Astar's folks claiming near 100% reliablity rates and blaming all woes on ABX's inability to do a good job. I thought the facts might interesting, so I looked. This may be an aberation, I make no claim that this "snapshot" represents the norm. I do plan to keep watching though.

Last edited:
Well, like I've said all along Eric, the problem is not either airline. It's the ground delivery network. Particularly, the IC issue. How they will overcome slapping a DHL sticker on the ABX Ground network, I don't know. Unless they go back to pre-merger coverage, and just start all over again. But, that's way above any of our paygrades.

Well, like I've said all along Eric, the problem is not either airline. It's the ground delivery network. Particularly, the IC issue. How they will overcome slapping a DHL sticker on the ABX Ground network, I don't know. Unless they go back to pre-merger coverage, and just start all over again. But, that's way above any of our paygrades.

Funny thing, it wasn't ABX's ground network. It was Airborne's. Funnier still, Airborne managed to make it work. I won't claim to know how, but I have my guess. Seems strange to me that DHL has some trouble making it work if Airborne could.

To give credit where credit is due, it is very hard to have your ground network deliver on time to the customer if the freight arrives late because of a late sort due to late arriving aircraft, or worse, aircraft that don't arrive at all.

None of ABX's "late" aircraft arrived after 1:15am, thus their freight should have made the sort. Two of Astar's aircraft arrived after 3:30am, after the first departures should have left. Again, I haven't looked at on time outstation arrivals yet.

UPS' goal for next day air arrivals within 15 minutes of schedule is only 80.3% and they struggle most of the time to make that, yet they make over $4 BILLION a year in profits. It's DHL's outdated and slow sort (ever notice that DHL planes are usually the first to leave an outstation at night and usually the last to arrive in the morning compared to FedEx and UPS?) It's because your sort is so screwed up and takes so long to turn it that causes you to arrive at the outstation later than your competition. Throw into the mix the lackluster (at best) service provided by the DHL IC delivery driver and you have the makings for late deliveries and poor customer service.

It was Airborne's. Funnier still, Airborne managed to make it work. I won't claim to know how, but I have my guess.

I had a business for several years and we shipped inbound and outbound almost daily. I used UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL and Airborne. We hit a point where I had to cut Airborne off from shipping and delivering because of dismal service (this was back when Airborne had their own operation) I would have customers that were AOG and we would send a part for next AM delivery, and Airborne would put it on the wrong truck, forget to deliver, etc.

This is just a personal experience from a business owner. I had great service from UPS/Fedex and DHL, but surprisingly enough the best service all around was USPS.

Cartman you're just trying to stir crap once again.

UPS' It's because your sort is so screwed up and takes so long to turn it that causes you to arrive at the outstation later than your competition. Throw into the mix the lackluster (at best) service provided by the DHL IC delivery driver and you have the makings for late deliveries and poor customer service.

Yep. Before DHL left CVG we had a fully automated sort and a quick hub turn. This combined with a ramp system that made sense and a standardized loading system.

Maybe someday it will get fixed.........

Yep. Before DHL left CVG we had a fully automated sort and a quick hub turn. This combined with a ramp system that made sense and a standardized loading system.

Maybe someday it will get fixed.........

Your fully automated sort at CVG did no where near the weight or packages that Iln did. Plus when it was CAT II your automated sort was even faster cause it was empty.

Latest resources

Back