ABX to list on NASDAQ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey GoABX,

I would welcome LCH into our mix, IM sure I would be the only one though. What else is confusing is how Astar is going to make up for all the lift being lost in AUS when we start doing that and ABX pulls out. I guess some sort of merger between us would have been best for all in the long run, though somewhat painful.

The leases on our A300s and 8s are up in 09'. I dont think they will be parked until then at the earliest. I am hearing that Riverside will probably end up being a pilot base for Astar, fwiw. I dont think anybody is going know for sure whats going to happen system wide until after the consolidation.

ABXbooger,

The only thing Astar can be held accountable for in system performance is MX delays or cancelations. In CVG DHL does all the sorting and loading. In ILN its ABX that does all that. So any delays or problems concerning loading, sorting, or whatever is not Astar's fault unless its MX or I over sleep.

Rhoid,

What I have heard 2nd and 3rd hand is that when the 767 became available is that DHL said they didnt need it. Then, supposedly they came back and said o.k. we want the airplane and Hete said sorry, we have other plans for it. I have heard from ABX pilots that their charter dept is going strong and often has to turn work away. Plus, supposedly, a lot of the charter work they do pays better that the DHL stuff does. But I dont work there so I am not sure how accurate that info is.

Later.

fr8dogfo said:
Hey GoABX,

I would welcome LCH into our mix, IM sure I would be the only one though. What else is confusing is how Astar is going to make up for all the lift being lost in AUS when we start doing that and ABX pulls out. I guess some sort of merger between us would have been best for all in the long run, though somewhat painful.

The leases on our A300s and 8s are up in 09'. I dont think they will be parked until then at the earliest. I am hearing that Riverside will probably end up being a pilot base for Astar, fwiw. I dont think anybody is going know for sure whats going to happen system wide until after the consolidation.

ABXbooger,

The only thing Astar can be held accountable for in system performance is MX delays or cancelations. In CVG DHL does all the sorting and loading. In ILN its ABX that does all that. So any delays or problems concerning loading, sorting, or whatever is not Astar's fault unless its MX or I over sleep.

Rhoid,

What I have heard 2nd and 3rd hand is that when the 767 became available is that DHL said they didnt need it. Then, supposedly they came back and said o.k. we want the airplane and Hete said sorry, we have other plans for it. I have heard from ABX pilots that their charter dept is going strong and often has to turn work away. Plus, supposedly, a lot of the charter work they do pays better that the DHL stuff does. But I dont work there so I am not sure how accurate that info is.

Later.

Actually ABX flies into CWF, the former Chennault AFB out in the middle of nowhere. According to ABX management as of a few days ago, ABX has been actively pursuing charter work for the new 767 without any luck and it still sits in ILN. DHL has told ABX that it does not need it for 16 months, DHL thinks it's cheaper to run a DC-8 than to pay for the 767.

For you Astar DC-8 guys in ILN flying the IAH trip, you better stop clogging up the throat of E ramp starting all four engines while ABX has multiple aircraft waiting on you to get out of the way. Why can't you guys do delayed starts?

Rhoid said:
For you Astar DC-8 guys in ILN flying the IAH trip, you better stop clogging up the throat of E ramp starting all four engines while ABX has multiple aircraft waiting on you to get out of the way. Why can't you guys do delayed starts?

Hey Rhoid, that's a great idea. Why don't you just put out a required acknowledge memo in SBS to that affect, and we'll be sure and comply with that directive. Tell ya what, you call Gen. Ted Mallory and pass along that admonition for us "AStar DC-8 guys" "You better stop....?" What's that tone all about?

The Astar DC-8 is causing delays to the ABX planes on E ramp at ILN thats all, if you guys would do a delayed start in the DC 8 like ABX does then it wouldn't be a problem.

Rhoid,
How come you know so much about ABX Air? Do you have a cousin/ brother/ father, etc who works there? I heard some mention about the DC-8 clogging the throat at a meeting on Thursday, so I think that the word should be getting out soon.

Airbus300

(Here is the retraction from the April 9th. online edition of the Cincinnati enquirer)........reporter error...

James Pilcher

ABX article included errors

A story in Thursday's Business section about ABX Air's request for listing on the Nasdaq stock exchange should have reported the company would supply 26 fewer planes to air cargo carrier DHL because of DHL's operations relocation from Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport to Wilmington. In addition, the story should have reported that Astar Air Cargo's full 40-plane fleet is expected to move to Wilmington under contract to DHL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOCAL BUSINESS
• Fiorini gets 12 years
• Kroger told to pay $13M
• Comair union okays deal on attendants
• May acquisition was pursued with vigor
• Elder Erpenbeck charged
• Business summary
• Feds: Erpenbeck threats not 'off-handed comments'
• Northlich signs for new quarters
• Rate Report
• New teams lead stock game
• Middle school individual team rankings
• High school individual team rankings
• Elementary school individual team rankings
• Adult rankings

Our DC8s start either two or four engines while still in the gate. If they only start two then the remaining two are started during taxi, not after push. Not sure why they'd push back, stop, then start more engines in the 70's.

LJ,

That's the first I've heard of that prob. I know when I'm in ILN, I usually push with #3 operating, and start the rest on push. That's our usual pushback scenario. By the time the tug is disconnected and moved, you should have all 4 running and ready to taxi. FWIW.

I haven't seen the problem myself, just heard about it from others. Sounds like your normal procedure would avoid any delays so the incidents in question must have involved something out of the ordinary.

Our procedure for the DC8 is different. We start #3 and #2 in the gate off of the huffer cart before pushback. We then start #1 and #4 during taxi. If we're planning on a short taxi then we start #3, #4, #2, and #1 in the gate off of the huffer. On the DC9 we start either engine, or both engines, during pushback off the APU. I believe that the B767 always starts both engines during pushback. I don't think that they do a delayed start.

Do you DC8 drivers need air (huffer) to be hooked up during engine shutdown to avoid tailpipe fires? or is this not an issue..curious

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back