• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX to compete with DHL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You mean supporting other unions like the way ALPA did when the NWA mechanics went on strike?

Obviously NW had no problems with ALPA pilots flying through that strike. That was exactly my point, ALPA has no ability to honor a strike by another union, just as the Teamsters would not be able to directly support an ALPA pilot group's strike.

I agree with with the statemnet that one should not support a particular union thinking that will provide a advantage in a merge. The affiliation is decided first and which is which will have zero bearing on the mechanics of the merged list.

I think you're misinformed here. I'm no huge fan of ALPA, but they didn't "get rid" of Emery jobs. The Emery pilots started a "call the FAA" program because of their maintenance being so shoddy. The Feds started digging, and Emery turned in their operating certificate. (That's the basics, as I remember.) ALPA can't protect jobs at a company that "turns in it's wings". Now the AA/TWA thing was a whole different deal. The MEC listened to National and gave up their Scope rights, as they were about to go bankrupt. As in cease operations bankrupt. They took the chance of receiving mercy from AA in the purchase deal. AA took them to the cleaners in the integration. Bad advice? Maybe. I don't know. Are there any ex-TWA guys following this thread that would care to rehash what happened? Or correct any statements I've made here that might be wrong?

You are actually the one who is misinformed. Freighthound is right on the money with his post. Without going into the long, sad, conspiracy story between ALPA,Emery and the Feds, let it suffice to say that ALPA hung Emery council 110 out to dry, merely to protect their high level Fed butt-buddies in DC. Duane Woerth is a lying c0cksuckr, and if I ever see him, I'll tell him to his face.

Last edited:
Actually Fred, I'm not. And I'm not going to get into the whole "trying to take your job" argument again. I'm bagging out of this thread. I'm sensing civility is about to sneak out the back door. Again. It was a good discourse while it lasted. Good luck to all.

not to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion but if ALPA wins in a representation vote it will still be the majority of pilots that will decide their fate. Lets say for the argument that a few pilots from ABX vote ALPA and the newly formed group is now represented by ALPA. What would prevent the ABX pilots from voting in "their" boys to run the newly elected ALPA union. This is my understanding of how APA works does ALPA not work the same?

That's correct, as I said earlier, voting ALPA or Teamsters to gain an advantage when merging the lists is not reality. The merge will be the same either way. I would urge ALL to look closely at the pros and cons of each union and decide which can provide the greatest benefit to THIS pilot group in the long term.

Seems to me that all this discussion on how the two pilot groups will merge is off point. Apparently we (ABX) have hired a Chief Operating Officer. Doesn't seem likely to me Joe would bring on a COO if he was planning a merge.

ABX Air announced today the creation of the position of Chief Operating Officer. It has hired John Graber, an industry veteran, to fill the post. The new position is designed to best position ABX Air to move forward strategically.

"During 2007 ABX Air will lose three key executives through retirements and John will provide the added expertise to ensure our continued success both short and long term," said Joe Hete, President and CEO. In his new role John will report to the CEO and have direct responsibility for Flight Operations, Maintenance and Engineering and Ground Services.

Graber, an industry veteran with over two decades of civil and military operational experience comes to ABX Air from AAR Corporation, where he was the President and General Manager of Aircraft Services Indianapolis - one of the largest MROs (Maintenance Repair Organization) in the nation. Prior to that, Graber was the Senior Vice President of Operations and General Manager of the Military and Charter businesses at ATA Airlines. His experience includes over 10,000 hours of flight time as a pilot. He has flown as a check airman, served as a chief pilot, and is a decorated combat veteran of Desert Storm. He holds an MBA from the University of Notre Dame.

"John Graber brings a strong record of international operational excellence to us.” Hete said. "He led one of the largest international charter airlines at ATA. He was the senior operational leader on the team that successfully guided ATA through some difficult times. We’re looking forward to having his business skills, experience and energy working for ABX Air.”

Seems to me that all this discussion on how the two pilot groups will merge is off point. Apparently we (ABX) have hired a Chief Operating Officer. Doesn't seem likely to me Joe would bring on a COO if he was planning a merge.

this guy was brought in for far more reaching reasons than you see here. your "top execs" that are "retiring" are actually popping their golden parachutes and leaving.

this guy has been brought in as a hired gun. you're not going to like what his mission is.

this guy was brought in for far more reaching reasons than you see here. your "top execs" that are "retiring" are actually popping their golden parachutes and leaving.

this guy has been brought in as a hired gun. you're not going to like what his mission is.

And just what would that mission be? I see it as the new maint. base ABX will have once they buy Pace. Look at his experience.

I have never seen a group of people that take such great pleasure in the possible demise of other peoples livelihoods, (okay other than management) . You all can hate ABX all you want but show some human compassion and try to not rub salt in our wounds before they're even created.

That's correct, as I said earlier, voting ALPA or Teamsters to gain an advantage when merging the lists is not reality. The merge will be the same either way. I would urge ALL to look closely at the pros and cons of each union and decide which can provide the greatest benefit to THIS pilot group in the long term.

I can tell you there are plenty that would vote IBT at Astar because they are sick of APLA. I am sure you can guess why. ;) As for a merger, that will be between the arbitrator and lawyers.

Latest resources

Back