Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UPSer,

I have a few questions for you.

1. You mentioned our CASS program, what's up with yours? Why has UPS stopped all CASS jumpseats for everyone except AA/AE? Why haven't you entered into recipricol agreements with the other CASS-approved airlines, United, Alaska, Continental?

2. Why do UPS 767 crews have to deadhead internationally with another crew on trips such as SDF-ANC-NRT or ICN-ANC-SDF instead of commercialling like nearly every other airline would do?

LJ-ABX said:
Catering on flights with under 11hrs rest would be good. We have only a couple of trips with that short of a layover, though, and don't do more than 8 in 24 as you guys do with your 3-man crews.

LJ-ABX,

I guess I need another cup of coffee this morning. ;) I'm not quite following what you mean about "8 in 24". Could you clarify for me? Thanks.

hvydriver said:
I guess I need another cup of coffee this morning. ;) I'm not quite following what you mean about "8 in 24". Could you clarify for me? Thanks.
Eight hours of flight time in a 24 hour period. We can't be scheduled for more than eight. The scheduling policy is that they don't schedule a trip to block more than 7:30 in a 24 hour period.

As an exmaple, look at our B767 flying CVG-SJU-CVG. Your A300 crews did it on one day with a ten or eleven our layover in SJU. Our crews have a 34 hour layover because the total flight time is 8:18.

OK. That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to be sure. We're a flag carrier, and I believe you're supplemental. That would be the difference. We don't schedule over 8 hrs. except on international flights. On SJU, We're under 8 hrs. of flight time to get there and back. What speed are you guys flying at? ;)

PS. Oops. My bad. Old Abe was right. I just checked the old A300 bids, and SJU was blocked for 8:08 round trip. I'm a DC 8 guy. I should have checked first. But, being a flag carrier, means you can do that, and go over 8. There just has to be comp. rest on the other end. They would pair ORD, etc. for the next segment on an SJU return in the A300.

Last edited:
UPSer said:
I was just surprised that they were not addressed in your new contract.
This and many of your other posts demonstrate a general lack of knowledge about our operation. I would never put forth so much incorrect information about UPS, I know nothing about your operations. I might suggest that you refrain from offering yourself as an authority on "how bad things are" at ABX and just stick to responding to questions about UPS.

LJ-ABX said:
UPSer,

I have a few questions for you.

1. You mentioned our CASS program, what's up with yours? Why has UPS stopped all CASS jumpseats for everyone except AA/AE? Why haven't you entered into recipricol agreements with the other CASS-approved airlines, United, Alaska, Continental?

2. Why do UPS 767 crews have to deadhead internationally with another crew on trips such as SDF-ANC-NRT or ICN-ANC-SDF instead of commercialling like nearly every other airline would do?
I don't know what the problem with CASS is for the other airlines besides AA/AE and the deadheading of crews is being addressed in contract negotiations. It is currently the case of the company trying to be as cheap as possible and taking advantage of loopholes in the current contract along with some Captains not exercising their authority and allowing the jumpseaters to deadhead in the first place, then the company would be forced to buy them tickets.

abxaviator said:
This and many of your other posts demonstrate a general lack of knowledge about our operation. I would never put forth so much incorrect information about UPS, I know nothing about your operations. I might suggest that you refrain from offering yourself as an authority on "how bad things are" at ABX and just stick to responding to questions about UPS.
The only thing I was incorrect about was the crew vans now generally dropping you off planeside, you know and I know that was NOT how it used to be.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back