• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Furlough Notices Sent Out Today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Too bad the people over 25yrs service and age 60 didn't step up and retire. Good Luck to the Pilot group and sorry
Wickedride[/quote]

An excellent point my Friend! It is amazing to me that a small group of our pilots, many of them with more than 20 years longevity, would remain past 60 while their junior brothers and sisters are furloughed, some for the third time!

Too bad the people over 25yrs service and age 60 didn't step up and retire. Good Luck to the Pilot group and sorry
Wickedride

Many of those people will lose between 25-30% of the pensions they should have gotten in a distressed termination. they have little chance to make it up, or find employment elsewhere.

Last edited:
Too bad the people over 25yrs service and age 60 didn't step up and retire.

Why should they?

Here we go again. Truth is, with 25 years of service, if anybody has the right to stick around and the seniority to do it, they deserve to.

This attitude about being younger and for some reason entitled to someone else's position is garbage. You're owed nothing. One with seniority doesn't owe you their job. It's their job. Not yours.

Try not to forget that they put in far more dues to be where they are, than you.

You can outlast a furlough. They've probably been through it more than once in their career, too.

For someone approaching 60 or over it though, they can't get furloughed and come back, and this is the last chance to earn everything they'll have to spend for the rest of their life. You...you can go elsewhere and find other work, you can weather the furlough. Not them.

The absolute arrogance to think someone else with a greater right to be there, with more seniority and experience, ought to give up their job for you is astounding. You think you have a right to someone else's job??

What I'm hearing is something along the lines of "Hey, old guy. Give me your job. You owe it to me."

That's just tough. Deal with it.

As opposed to saying " hey, I have been told for forty years that I retire at 60 but the younger guys that have been waiting for their chance can wait a bit longer on the street. I have the right to the job and congress says so." Your right that it is the last chance, but your career plans have been based on 60 and you are not penalized by our contract for going out at 60. Early retirement just because you are able, is a complete different story. I agree you shouldn't take the penalty.

I'll be 60 in a few months. I have always planned to retire at 60, and still want to. I have to admit,though, that I would not at this time choose to take an early retirement penalty, knowing that in the near future I might also be penalized an additional 25-30% if we go through a distressed termination. I would like nothing better than to go now, but there are two many unknowns for me and it is an irreversible decision that will dictate my financial situation for the rest of my life. We may be "old" in your eyes, but we have the same commitments and responsibilities you do.

Thumbs UP!

The bills don't stop coming in when you hit 60 or 65.

Cant you guys get preferential hiring at ATI? I read on another site that they are JA'ing new guys into the left and right seat of the 767. The DC8 drivers are home based and wont leave it.

Avbug, I've been reading your posts on this thread and others. One question...who pissed in your cheerios?

Avbug, I've been reading your posts on this thread and others. One question...who pissed in your cheerios?

Why don't you use the Private Message function for your inane questions? Now, back to the topic.

I'll be 60 in a few months. I have always planned to retire at 60, and still want to. I have to admit,though, that I would not at this time choose to take an early retirement penalty, knowing that in the near future I might also be penalized an additional 25-30% if we go through a distressed termination. I would like nothing better than to go now, but there are two many unknowns for me and it is an irreversible decision that will dictate my financial situation for the rest of my life. We may be "old" in your eyes, but we have the same commitments and responsibilities you do.

MJH, I didn't ask you to retire before 60 although I'm sure that there are a few DC-9 FO's that might feel differently. I understand and feel your concern for our collective futures. I am just suggesting that, considering the state of our company and the industry, it would seem prudent and appropriate to not work past 60 at this time. I understand that you have committments as do the rest of us. It has been tough on everybody.

Latest resources

Back