ABX Furlough Notices Sent Out Today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thumbs UP!

Cant you guys get preferential hiring at ATI? I read on another site that they are JA'ing new guys into the left and right seat of the 767. The DC8 drivers are home based and wont leave it.

Some of your facts are somewhat wrong, some folks bid the 767 and were awarded it, and some were JA'ed into it. Home Basing is a huge deal for most of us at ATI we have homes and lives scattered across the world and for years we never had to worry about how to get to work, that's why most chose not to bid the 767. Some do not have these issues I guess so they Bid the aircraft.

If the company ever sees fit to extend the Home Basing to the 767 you will see a flood of guys chomping at the bit to fly it! Home Basing is the biggest factor to me that makes ATI a Great Place to work. I can live with less cash than the rest, but Home Basing makes it all worth while!

Right now we are downgrading CA's so I personally do not see any further hiring in the near future.

And may I ask what site you read about the JA's at ATI??

Yeah I'm not getting furloughed and so I went out and bought a new car for my third wife. I can't really afford it so i'm gonna pick up some overtime for the next couple bids also because I need another brand new car for my seventh kid who is sixteen now. Seriously if you can't readjust your level of poverty at ABX with your pay scale and the nice pension you still have left for now (you may want to readjust(plan) for not having one later) then you've been living to rich and fat for a long time. The party was nice, but if your 60 plus and don't know better then you are just more self centered like most of us who became pilots.

Karma Karma its waiting for some in a big way.

Yeah I'm not getting furloughed and so I went out and bought a new car for my third wife. I can't really afford it so i'm gonna pick up some overtime for the next couple bids also because I need another brand new car for my seventh kid who is sixteen now. Seriously if you can't readjust your level of poverty at ABX with your pay scale and the nice pension you still have left for now (you may want to readjust(plan) for not having one later) then you've been living to rich and fat for a long time. The party was nice, but if your 60 plus and don't know better then you are just more self centered like most of us who became pilots.

If you're one of our people being furloughed, then good riddance!

Sir M,

As I understand the distressed termination rules even if I retire at at 60 it will be several years before I can be sure my pension will not be cut back if the DT occurs. That being the case, why should I now settle for my 50% of earnings pension which might be cut back when I can stay a few more years and put some more money away to cover the loss. As others have pointed out, this is my last shot. I'm to old to jump over to KAL or any of the other better paying jobs, and any place else I might go will entail a rather large pay cut. I might as well stay here until the bitter end and make what I can.

BTW, I started cleaning up my financial house shortly after DHL bought Airborne, not that I was in bad shape. I don't have a big expensive house, and I own my cars. I don't have any toys to pay for. But I have a pretty good idea what inflation will do to my fixed income retirement even if I manage to get all of it, so I want as much of it as I can get, and I want to make good to the extent I can any loss in it that may occur.

I understand you don't like it, but really don't see that you are entitled to my job. I see no reason why I should take a huge hit for you. You want my job? Fine, work on making sure I get what I worked the last 30 or so years for. I'll be happy to go if my pension is secure. I'll even go early if there is no penalty involved. Otherwise, forget it.

Last edited:
Why should they?

Here we go again. Truth is, with 25 years of service, if anybody has the right to stick around and the seniority to do it, they deserve to.

This attitude about being younger and for some reason entitled to someone else's position is garbage. You're owed nothing. One with seniority doesn't owe you their job. It's their job. Not yours.

Try not to forget that they put in far more dues to be where they are, than you.

You can outlast a furlough. They've probably been through it more than once in their career, too.

For someone approaching 60 or over it though, they can't get furloughed and come back, and this is the last chance to earn everything they'll have to spend for the rest of their life. You...you can go elsewhere and find other work, you can weather the furlough. Not them.

The absolute arrogance to think someone else with a greater right to be there, with more seniority and experience, ought to give up their job for you is astounding. You think you have a right to someone else's job??

What I'm hearing is something along the lines of "Hey, old guy. Give me your job. You owe it to me."

That's just tough. Deal with it.

Yeah. Let them eat cake!!!!!

Sir M,

As I understand the distressed termination rules even if I retire at at 60 it will be several years before I can be sure my pension will not be cut back if the DT occurs. That being the case, why should I now settle for my 50% of earnings pension which might be cut back when I can stay a few more years and put some more money away to cover the loss. As others have pointed out, this is my last shot. I'm to old to jump over to KAL or any of the other better paying jobs, and any place else I might go will entail a rather large pay cut. I might as well stay here until the bitter end and make what I can.

BTW, I started cleaning up my financial house shortly after DHL bought Airborne, not that I was in bad shape. I don't have a big expensive house, and I own my cars. I don't have any toys to pay for. But I have a pretty good idea what inflation will do to my fixed income retirement even if I manage to get all of it, so I want as much of it as I can get, and I want to make good to the extent I can any loss in it that may occur.

I understand you don't like it, but really don't see that you are entitled to my job. I see no reason why I should take a huge hit for you. You want my job? Fine, work on making sure I get what I worked the last 30 or so years for. I'll be happy to go if my pension is secure. I'll even go early if there is no penalty involved. Otherwise, forget it.

Pretty well said....

just for the sake of argument

But then it would be YOU that takes advantage of the opportunity of flying till 65 (either here or somewhere else), while those behind you wait for YOU to retire.

So why do you get the advantage of the 65 law, but erichartman doesn't?

Except for the fact that he got his captain seat when someone else retired at 60, I would agree.

Wrong. I got my seat while the company was expanding. I also got it "out of seniority" because I bid for upgrade at every opportunity while others decided they would rather stay in the right seat, live in a termination point, and get the schedule they wanted.

Latest resources

Back