Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JohnnyReb

REX122
Word on the street is that ABX-DHL is going from 130 something feeder flights to 60 something feeder flights. Only turban feeders remaining. Transition is now through October?

Dhl

I've heard,"...from sources familiar with the matter...," that ABX had been planning/knew about this for some time. I used to fly feed for ABX and, since that time, my previous employer lost several DHL runs which can undoubtedly be chalked up to the 'reorganization.'

Cutting??? I can remember they used to want to load 9,000 pounds of freight into a Caravan everynight when I flew for their feeder. That one plane used to make 7 stops for a night for them.
German efficiency what can I say; expect 4 day work weeks this fall. :)

These things tend to be cyclic. Somebody think he'll save money, then there'll be a bunch of planes that bulk out or whatever, and freight will start showing up late. They'll pick up more feeder runs, then someon will try to save money again.

Who's doing the DHL stuff in the CVG area now? Is it still Air Tahoma?

I noticed the other day that they cut the Amflight1069 trip from RFD- SBN/CVG. I was wondering what was going on but now i know.

JohnnyReb said:
Word on the street is that ABX-DHL is going from 130 something feeder flights to 60 something feeder flights. Only turban feeders remaining. Transition is now through October?

Looks like you lost your job to Muhammed.

T-gates,

Yeah, sounds like things are gonna be stressful for feeder pilots in the CVG area. I used to fly past an ABX DC-9 that would fly into Columbia, MO every night. How do they move enough boxes to pay for a DC-9 to fly into the middle of nowhere?

This is why I think it'll be hard for 'em not to bring at least some of the feeders back to CVG. When the economy goes south again, it'll be hard to keep big planes profitable.

In either case, good luck to the Amflight and Nightfreight guys who'll have to deal with whatever upheavals happen.

COU is one of our most heavy stations. Airborne now DHL has a truck hub there.

I've also heard it's likely the feeders will start flying outstation to outstation where they'll meet up with the 9, which will fly to Wilmington. This makes sense logistically for DHL and can potentially open up quite a few more markets, but makes maintenance a nightmare for the feeders who no longer fly into a maint base. They're now saying the transition will take place Sept 9 over Labor Day weekend, but as usual nothing is for certain until it actually happens. So far the powers that be have been pretty quiet about the new plans.

jafo20 said:
This is why I think it'll be hard for 'em not to bring at least some of the feeders back to CVG. .

There won't be any CVG to come back to, all of that operation will be moving to ILN soon.

I wonder what will happen to the CVG sort facility in the long run?

Most of the feeder stuff for DHL after the hub merger should be outstation to outstation. Nothing like a good ol' inner-Arkansas freight run :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back