Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hvydriver said:
LJ,

We can keep flying the current schedule.

It has been my understanding that Astar has no spare airframes. Is this so? If so, how does Astar propose to service the DC-8 station(s) now "uncovered" by the loss of the airframe to be returned to lessor?

On another note, I heard one of your A-300's did a high speed abort last Tuesday at ILN, but had not heard why. Any idea what happened?

erichartmann said:
It has been my understanding that Astar has no spare airframes. Is this so? If so, how does Astar propose to service the DC-8 station(s) now "uncovered" by the loss of the airframe to be returned to lessor?

You understand wrong. ;)

On another note, I heard one of your A-300's did a high speed abort last Tuesday at ILN, but had not heard why. Any idea what happened?

Yes I do, but since it's an ongoing investigation, it's not appropriate to comment on it yet.

hvydriver said:
Yes I do, but since it's an ongoing investigation, it's not appropriate to comment on it yet.

That suggests it was not cut and dried; i.e. an obvious failure such as loss of an engine, fire warning etc.

erichartmann said:
That suggests it was not cut and dried; i.e. an obvious failure such as loss of an engine, fire warning etc.

No, the abort was cut and dried. There was, shall we say, a somewhat less than stellar response from folks on the ground, and leave it at that, ok?

The real question is who is going to do the flying from the loss of 21 ABX aircraft and 1 Astar DC8 at the end of August!

erwaz said:
The real question is who is going to do the flying from the loss of 21 ABX aircraft and 1 Astar DC8 at the end of August!

I thought that the loss of the 21 aircraft was replaced by the 767's that ABX got, meaning that the 8's were replaced by some 767's, or do I have it wrong?
Anyone know how many of the DAL 12 767's have been converted or have started? If ABX wants to do some pax flying, then how many 767's do they have available for that?

erwaz said:

The ABX aircraft that are being removed from the DHL system were not flying any DHL routes. They were all spares. DHL in releasing those aircraft is reducing the number of spares that they are carrying and freeing them up for us to use on non-DHL work.

Two of the DC8s are already scheduled to take over a couple of charters from the MIA 767 domicile which frees them up for a new SJO/LAX/MEX/GDL/GUD trip. Not sure if that trip is for DHL or if it's a non-DHL charter.

The DC9 has actually picked up a couple of cities since July.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back