ABX and ATI - What's the latest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Sorry if this has been discussed over and over - PMs also welcome. I met an ABX furloughee who was waiting for a retraining class recently and he mentioned that ABX was now solely operating 767s out of both CVG and MIA. I guess I was unaware of the changes - although I knew the DC9s had been grounded.

So, what is the relationship between ABX and ATI? Do ABX pilots solely fly the 767s or do ATI pilots also get to fly the 767s? What's the relationship - completely independent pilot groups?

A few other questions:

1. Is the flying still almost entirely night flying (high percentage) and

2. Have all of the 767 cockpits been retrofitted with the new, larger EFIS screens? How many more 767s expected?

Glad to hear that some furloughed pilots are gradually returning.

"The airline was established in 1980 when Airborne Freight acquired Midwest Air Charter. It started operations on 17 April 1980. Airborne Express, as the airline was initially named, was a wholly owned subsidiary of Airborne Freight of Seattle.[2]

ABX became a public company on 16 August 2003 as part of the merger of DHL and Airborne, in which DHL kept Airborne's ground operations and spun off its air operations as ABX Air Inc.

On 2 November 2007, CEO Joe Hete and the ABX Air board of directors announced that the company had entered into an agreement to acquire Cargo Holdings International, the parent company of Air Transport International (ATI) and Capital Cargo International Airlines for a cost of $350 million. The transaction was finalized on 31 December 2007,[4] and ABX Air was reorganized as a subsidiary of a holding company, later named Air Transport Services Group (ATSG).[5]

On November 10, 2008, ABX Air's largest customer, DHL, announced a plan to exit the United States domestic market.[6] Previous plans by DHL had been to keep its U.S. operations by contracting them out to United Parcel Service.[7]

On 30 March 2010, ABX Air's parent company, ATSG, entered into new long-term agreements with DHL, under which ABX Air would continue providing airlift for the U.S. portion of DHL’s international network.[8]"

They are a shadow of what they once were. DC-8/9's all gone, no ground operations, 26+ 767's, about half the previous pilot group remains.

ATSG plays the "shell game" with ABX, ATI and Capital.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back