ABX AIR is hiring DON'T APPLY

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kittyhawk1048 said:
Well I have dispatched heavy jets and I will tell you runways dont mean a thing shooter. When you are dispatching to ORD how can you tell what runway they are using if they open and close runways every half hour? That is why as duster said YOU DISPATCH TO A AIRPORT NOT A RUNWAY. Read your FARS it is in there in black and white. Dispatching a heavy is not nearly as difficult as dispatching part 121. Do you deal with passengers? NO Do you deal with Ground delay programs? NO Do you deal with customer service agents? NO All you deal with up there at ABX is putting the fuel on and that is it. You dont deal with what a passenger carrier deals with and plus ILN is only for ABX. Not like Fed-ex and UPS you have to share with passenger carriers. On my next post I can put a quote from the FARS if you would like.
Or better yet ask the man that sits in the office next to the training room I am sure he knows what the FAR regarding dispatching to an airport is rather than a runway. Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! You really are a bone-head skippy! I'm glad you are not at ABX and feel sorry for your co-workers.

Dispatching a heavy is not nearly a difficult as dispatching part 121

what in the world are you talking about? ABX IS a 121 carrier.

NO Do you deal with ground delay programs? NO All you deal with up there at ABX is putting the fuel on and that is it.

Yeah, your right skippy. We just load the aircraft up fly ILN-ILN and land again. You are the braindead of which others speak.

Do you deal with setting up fuel at out stations or setting up de-ice? Do you re-route aircraft to recover for another station? Do you even know how a Dispatch office works? I doubt it. I said it before, cargo ops are apples to a passenger ops oranges. But I guess you do not know how to read a complete post much less compose anything literate. Go back to fast food and quit giving Dispatchers a bad name.

On my next post I can put a quote from the FARS if you would like.

Go ahead and I will post from the FAR's too. Then maybe, just maybe I can get it through your cro-magnon skull that WE ARE NOT DISPATCHING TO A RUNWAY!

Last edited:
Dispatch doing there jobs

Just read the latest on the SWA Midway accident, NTSB, Flying Mag.."Les Abend" article, it seems to me that the dispatcher there at SWA should have diverted that flight, especially since he/she talked to the crew enroute 2 times about the landing data.

I have only been at odds 1 time with a crew over a diversion I wanted them to perform, I got some guff from them at the time, but it was later proven by the weather at the ETA that my decesion was the right one.

This is the inherant problem for dispatchers, its our job to keep them safe, and when we do our job 99.999% of the time there is nothing to talk about and the mission was successful, which of course is what we all want.

The unfortunate side is that most people inside the airline, and all the public dont have any appreciation or knowledge what we do as dispatchers, many flight crews have little use for us "according to them", we are just part of the process if you will.

Accidents have mentioned AA/LIT, SWA/MDW etc...these are prime glaring cases where the dispatcher "could have made a difference had a more conservative approach been taken as well as a forceful request to the crews to divert, Of course the PIC could have chosen to over rule the dispatcher under emergency guidelines, not something a crew would normally do.

We will never know how many accidents/ Incidents have been avoided by the work of the dispatcher/ Pilot relationship. JMHO

Last edited:
SKC said:
ss9e, if it's taking more than an hour to complete one scheduled international flight release, something is wrong (unless you're dealing with a primitive flight planning system). If it's a non-sched adhoc flight that's a different deal if you're having to obtain overflight permits at the time of departure. That can actually take some time. The actual planning process is still fairly straight forward.

no, i'm not dealing with a primitive flight planning system. i'm working on jepp. there are a couple of flights that i do regularly that take this long. mem-nrt, kix-mem, hkg-fra, hkg-cdg, hkg-ala all take a minimum of 30 minutes to an hour to prepare daily if done properly. sure, i could not look at fir boundary notams, pacots, freeflows, solar reports(for the polar flights), sigmets, diversion airports weather and notams(for the l888 route in china), or try to find the fastest/most fuel effecient route and just hope that everything works out for the best. i take pride in what i do. i want to give my crews the most accurate and safe release that i can. SKC i don't know where you work or what type of routes you fly. but, if you are doing routes similar to me and it doesn't take you that long, then you are not doing your job properly.

ss9e, 30+ mins IS normal for flights such as the ones you mentioned. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned planning for those taking more than an hour, so that's what I was referring to.

I work at a supp carrier that does worldwide flights as well, so I know the laundry list of things to check prior to releasing a flight in those parts of the world.

shooter said:
Your keen observation skills would otherwise keep me wondering about your ability to determine how you judge other peoples abilities, much less the working conditions and environment of a company after you say you “have been gone for 2 years”.

Inclined to agree with 'shooter' on this one. Though I rarely opine on topic
from time to time, I worked for a frac' a couple of years back. I am always
careful to include a caveat such as "my information is dated" and "things
may have changed since my departure." This allows the reader to delineate
between my very dated knowledge of a particular subject and those more
current from someone else. Sometimes it's nice to know some history behind
a company.

Kittyhawk,

Not sure if you are still out there, but I checked with friends at UAL and they have never heard of you. Amazing!!!!

SKC said:
ss9e, if it's taking more than an hour to complete one scheduled international flight release, something is wrong (unless you're dealing with a primitive flight planning system). If it's a non-sched adhoc flight that's a different deal if you're having to obtain overflight permits at the time of departure. That can actually take some time. The actual planning process is still fairly straight forward.

add north korean missile dodging to the list of things to check before releasing flights...

Well, overall that was some very entertaining reading. There were quite a few good points made and some pretty useless bantering going on as well. I work for a regional as well and I have to say that on some days, yes, this job is quite easy. You always have and always will have far more good days that you will bad, but its those bad days that can test you mentally. I love a good line of level 4/5 tstorms stretching from dtw all the way back to iah and you have to figure out how to get your flight out to dsm. Makes for quite the challenge sometimes(trust me I don't want this scenerio all the time). Every once in a while is fine for me.

I for one love the dispatching job and have no major beefs with my company. Of course I would love to make a little more cash come payday but who wouldn't? Luckily, I have a sugar momma who makes way more than I do! Woo hoo

Well, overall that was some very entertaining reading. There were quite a few good points made and some pretty useless bantering going on as well. I work for a regional as well and I have to say that on some days, yes, this job is quite easy. You always have and always will have far more good days that you will bad, but its those bad days that can test you mentally. I love a good line of level 4/5 tstorms stretching from dtw all the way back to iah and you have to figure out how to get your flight out to dsm. Makes for quite the challenge sometimes(trust me I don't want this scenerio all the time). Every once in a while is fine for me.

I for one love the dispatching job and have no major beefs with my company. Of course I would love to make a little more cash come payday but who wouldn't? Luckily, I have a sugar momma who makes way more than I do! Woo hoo

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sugar momma. I gotta get me one of those

Dispatching at a regional is a friggin cake walk compared to 'spatching at a 121 Int'l flag carrier. BIG BIG learning curve when I came over to the dark side... Sure, you have 65-70 flights, but I'll take my 8-12 per shift. 1 international flight=10 boring A-B domestic regional flights.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back