• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

urflyingme?!

Man Among Men
Ok guys...
Kinda a weird question, and just out of curiosity...
Absinthe, can u drink it as a pilot?
Tht is, IF it's even "drank" I know nothing abut the stuff, just kinda curious

Don't know if its on the prohibited or tested list of drugs... but I didn't find it as exciting as its hyped to be.

I'm sticking to licking toads.

fg

Absinthe is the deadliest spirit in the world. Invented in Switzerland, flavoured with wormwood, and with an alcohol content of 70%, it was first produced commercially by Henry-Louis Pernod in 1797. By the late 19th century it had become a hugely popular drink, especially in France where it was known as La Fee Verte ( The Green Fairy ). The green, slightly soapy tasting liqueur was linked with creativity and the Bohemian lifestyle, and was the favorite tipple of Touluse-Latrec, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, and Ernest Hemingway ( maybe that's why he blew his head off :eek: ).

Absinthe had a reputation as a dangerous drink. It was said that wormwood rotted the brain and caused hallucinations, though many put this effect down to it's high alcohol content. By the early 20th century it had been banned in many European countires. However, in remained legal in Spain, Portugal, the UK, and the Czech Republic.

Arguments still rage about it's safety, but one fact is certain - absinthe hangovers are much nastier than normal ones. One traditional way to drink it is to soak a cube of sugar in the absinthe in your glass, set it alight on a spoon, and when the sugar has melted, stir it back into the glass. Add some water, and down the hatch. :D

In Prague some of the popular ways to drink Absinthe are in a B-52, substitute for Triple Sec or mix it with Semtex for something that will really blow your head off. :cool:

Typhoonpilot

You can get de-wormwoodized Absinthe at just about any liquor store. All the taste with not hallucinogenic effects. And, yes. The real stuff really kicks your a$$. Be sure to have your wits about you when and if you try it.

SK:cool:

do you mean you can get the de-wormwoodized Absinthe in a liquor store in one of those countries you listed?

Or do you mean in the US? I can't say that I've seen it in any liquor store in the US, ………………..THAT would get my attention.

All the texts/history about the stuff says that it can be pretty addictive.

As far as the contents, and if its "makeup" contained any compounds that would constitute a,
banned (and tested substance) I don't know.

This would be an excelent question for an ALPA lawer, or an AOPA lawer. This might be an interesting
piece of trivia that they might know. I'm not going to the Chech. republic anytime soon but I'd like to know too.

Absinthe is a distillate of fermented wormwood extract, thus it is an alcoholic beverage = not less than 8 hours before flying. Absente (also alcoholic) is the most popular form of de-wormwoodized (non-hallucinogenic) absinthe and is sold in U.S. liquor stores.

Sounds like the Pseudo Ouzo you buy outside of the Mediteranian (sp?) ... no opium. :(

Minh

Latest resources

Back