? about the Glideslope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This brings up a good question...

The ILS 23 in CLT is like this. If you are on the GS you are *normally* 3 white. If you follow the VASI, the airplane will yell at you as the GS goes out the top. The problem of course is that if you DO follow the GS you end up slamming into the hump of a crossing runway or landing way down runway. I normally follow the GS until about 1000 feet and then pick up the VASI and land. I even brief it this way. Needless to say, the one time I had a fed in the jumpseat they didn't like this at all.

I haven't been able to find any reference about which is controlling and at what AGL/distance numbers. Anybody got something?

I want to say I read in an opspec(I know different for every airline) or some FAR that if you have electronic guidance i.e. a GS that you were supposed to follow it even on a visual approach.

i thought that "cleared for the visual" meant just that. a visual. electronic equipment for reference only. either way one cannot legally be below the vasi until a normal landing can be made.

and i dont know what aircraft is in question here, but the reset jet uses mda, not dh for ils mins (dh tied to rad alt). and since it was built to catII cert, it will give "glideslope" all the way down.

what equipment are we talking about?

This brings up a good question...

The ILS 23 in CLT is like this. If you are on the GS you are *normally* 3 white. If you follow the VASI, the airplane will yell at you as the GS goes out the top. The problem of course is that if you DO follow the GS you end up slamming into the hump of a crossing runway or landing way down runway. I normally follow the GS until about 1000 feet and then pick up the VASI and land. I even brief it this way. Needless to say, the one time I had a fed in the jumpseat they didn't like this at all.

I haven't been able to find any reference about which is controlling and at what AGL/distance numbers. Anybody got something?

If you are doing a VISUAL APPROACH and are either within 5 or 4 miles of the runway and within 10 degrees of the centerline the VASI will provide you with adequate obstacle clearance therefore you can follow it and the fed can't say ********************.

Recently I was landing at RDU. I noticed the glideslope was telling me that I was coming in low. But the VASI/PAPI was indicating that I was right on the mark. As I got to about 50 feet above the TDZE, the 'helpful voice told me Glideslope,' but the VASI/PAPI said I was right on path. Has anyone had this situation b4? At no time did the Captain step in, nor did he say anything to me after the landing. Is it the aircraft/airport landing system? Or do I just suck balls and need to improve my skills. I'm still relatively new to the a/c.

You just suck balls...

reg says visual or electronic glide slope, little CRM on what glideslope you are using would probably be in order.

I really wish the glideslope aural warning would be disabled below decision height. What's the point other than an annoyance.

Another question that should be answered is why is your POS airplane giving you a glideslope warning when you are 100' below DH.

Saabs do it. CRJs do it too. Not when I'm PF, but I've seen it done. My question is why shouldn't they give a GS warning at that height?

Latest resources

Back