? about the Glideslope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SBD

Recently I was landing at RDU. I noticed the glideslope was telling me that I was coming in low. But the VASI/PAPI was indicating that I was right on the mark. As I got to about 50 feet above the TDZE, the 'helpful voice told me Glideslope,' but the VASI/PAPI said I was right on path. Has anyone had this situation b4? At no time did the Captain step in, nor did he say anything to me after the landing. Is it the aircraft/airport landing system? Or do I just suck balls and need to improve my skills. I'm still relatively new to the a/c.

Is there a note on the approach plate stating something to the affect that the GS and Visual GS are not "the same"??

you know that note on the approach plate or notams that says "GLIDESLOPE AND VGSI NOT COINCIDENT"? well, that means exactly what it says, the glideslope and the visual glideslope indications (PAPI, VASI, etc) are not the same.

Dont know about the specifics of the situation, but an ILS GS would obviously be much more precise than a PAPI/VASI...i.e. 2 red/ 2 white on a PAPI doesnt always mean you are right on glideslope per the gs antenna...but, I wouldnt think you could get an aural warning from the aircraft if you were 2 red/ 2 white....

Was it this procedure? Check out the note in the bottom right-hand corner of the profile view.

Who cares? Wheels hit TDZ = good landing.

I would say the same as everybody else, probably they are not coincidental and it probably says so on the chart. Also, who the hell could fly with a NOS(or what ever that piece of crap is) chart instead of Jepp, there is crap everywhere on that chart and in no particular order, way to confusing if you ask me.

This is not uncommon. I can think of 2 right off the top of my head where the electronic GS says your low when the PAPI shows 2 red / 2 white: ILS 4 LGA and ILS 33R BWI. I'm sure there are many others out there.

Check your NOTAMS. I don't trust our dispatchers.
!FDC 7/2584 (KRDU A0042/07) RDU FI/T RALEIGH-DURHAM INTL, RALEIGH/DURHAM, NC. ILS OR LOC RWY 23R, AMDT 10... S-LOC 23R MDA 900/HAT 491 ALL CATS, VIS CAT C RVR 4000, CAT D RVR 5000. CHANGE PROFILE TO READ: MINIMUM ALTITUDE AT GIYEP 1160. ADD NOTE: VDP NA. ADD PROFILE NOTE: VGSI AND ILS GLIDEPATH NOT COINCIDENT.

!FDC 7/2575 (KRDU A0040/07) RDU FI/T RALEIGH-DURHAM INTL, RALEIGH/DURHAM, NC. ILS RWY 5L, AMDT 4B... S-ILS 5L DA 676/HAT 291 ALL CATS, UNLESS OTHERWISE ADVISED BY ATC. ADD PROFILE NOTE: VGSI AND ILS GLIDEPATH NOT COINCIDENT. TEMPORARY CRANE 606 MSL 2726 FT NE OF RWY 5L.

I would say the same as everybody else, probably they are not coincidental and it probably says so on the chart. Also, who the hell could fly with a NOS(or what ever that piece of crap is) chart instead of Jepp, there is crap everywhere on that chart and in no particular order, way to confusing if you ask me.

Actually, after using them for a week, they are easier to read and have the added benefit of having no updates. You just throw out the whole book and replace it with a new one. They are also easier to read at night in dim light. I learned to fly on Jepp, went to NOS at my first company, and now back to Jepp. There is no difference once you get used to them.

Latest resources

Back