About cape air?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

steve3137

Anyone have any info on Cape air, good or bad? What about interview, how many out of interview pool usually get hired? Pay, flight benefits ect. Thanks

cape air

I interviewed there about 6 or 7 years ago before I had much of any experience.

If it hasn't changed you do an interview with the Chief Pilot or his assistant. They give you a 50 some-odd question test (general part 61/91 type operational questions) then it gets reviewed and they ask you questions off of that...the what would you do type things. Hop in an FTD for 15 minutes to do a basic profile (hold, intercept) and you're done.

I think the amount of people they hire is random based on need more than anything else. I didn't get the job but they were only hiring 2 out of how many they did interview.

It was a very comfortable interview, nothing high-stress about it.

Good Luck.

Everyone I have met from Cape Air loves the job. Great bunch of pilots and seem to be treated well. They have even been expanding recently in the Northeast with some EAS routes. The pilots get paid by the Duty hour and I have been told first year you can expect around $30-35k as a 402 CA. Ive taken Cape Air guys in our cockpit jumpseat (Im at AE) which leads me to believe they are CASS.

Here is a good link:
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/cape_air.html

Cape Air no longer does the sim part if the interview. Good information on the interview can be found at www.aviationinterviews.com Cape Air is growing, but they have also done alot of hiring to facilitate that growth. I am not sure what the future hiring plans are.

A couple of other things to note, the training is demandings, goes 7 days a week, and takes about a month. Right now the busy season is the Carib is getting going. As far as I know, street ATR positions are not happening right now.

Oh, one more thing, the classes have been full of furloughed pilots with lots of expereince. Even a couple of ex ATA L1011 pilots have been seen around. If that doesn't tell you what the state of the industry is, nothing will.

CASS- Yes
Family Benifits on Continnental - YES
Health insurance- Expensive
Pay- Not bad for a 402, but most people would tell you they wouldn't mind more (haha)

Last edited:
I'm thinking about taking Cape Air this week...TPA-RSW-EYW (Gulfstream is full!) Are these planes ever weight restricted? Does a rollerboard suitcase fit in the airplane?

A completely full 402 can be weight restricted but it all depends upon the body weights of the passengers that day. Not usually a problem though. A rollaboard can be gate checked and will go in the nose or on the aft baggage shelf.

Can I compete?

I saw a post showing that Cape Air is hiring first officers. I wanted to know how many hours do they require within 12 months? I got back into flying a year ago but, was only able to rack up 40 hours including my biannual and my instrument currency. I have close to 1600 hours and 200 hours multi time 5 hours in a Cessna 402, 7 hours in a turbine. I got out of aviation in 2001 and flew on and off between that time to the present. What are my chances of getting hired with Cape Air? I understand the regionals have laid off many pilots and I'm not sure if I can compete.

Thank you ahead for time!

J.

Latest resources

Back