• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABC Investigates lack of pilot sleep

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love sitting CDO reserve. I hate that turning into 2 days of 5 am show time ready reserve to then switch back the next 2 days to getting called to fly a CDO. That is total fatiguing BS and should be illegal.

Exactly what I'm talking about. This type of schedule re-arrangement should be banned, not the CDO's themselves.

WM, keep track of this stuff and contact your senator and congressman. Anonymously, of course :)

Having done full CDO lines and the occasional CDO thrown in with regular trips, I'll take the latter any day of the week. I don't do well with the constant short amount of sleep and naps but operate great if it's only one or two in a row. However, that's just me. I know a few guys that love CDOs, do only those, and look completely rested in the morning. Others hate them completely and refuse to do the. To each their own.

Exactly what I'm talking about. This type of schedule re-arrangement should be banned, not the CDO's themselves.

Perhaps a rule could require the company to get consent from the crewmember to perform this kind of schedule rearrangement unless there is a full calendar day between the different schedule types.

12 on 12 off.....

then raise the prices, pay pilots what they deserve and if people dont wanna fly then they can go kill themselves in their own cars.

solved

Pinnacle has some horrible highspeeds out of DTW and MSP... including MSP-Helena Montana, and DTW-YUL. After you fly to Montreal and go through customs, then wait for the bus to the crappy Hotel, you're lucky to get 4 hours of nap. All for 3.75 pay. MEM highspeeds are great for lineholders, but they are bad for reserves since they will often switch it to a RR overnight and tack on 4 legs in the morning.

Some pilots lives revolve around High Speeds. If you live near base and have a spouse that works and have kids there is nothing better than being home everyday.

It's funny how at ASA CDOs were unsafe until our new contract, which provided for a 1:2 duty rig to 12 hours then 1:1 after that. When a CDO starts paying 8 hours of credit, suddenly they become the safest trips out there.

In fact, now that the trips actually pay something (rather than straight block) you're seeing more people pick up a nap at the end of their 4-day trip as an easy way to get your credit up for the month. Ideal from a paycheck perspective, but not so much from a rest perspective.

Correction: The position has been that more than 3 CDOs in a row were unsafe. CDO lines were going fairly Senior before the rig in this contract. Check your facts.

Folks,

Tired is tired and there are many ways to get there; CDO, 4 day, three day, commuting, whatever.

Let's just remember, none of the issues discussed on this board have anything to do with Colgan's accident. The fatigue, rest, and pay-related-commuting issues were all directly related to personal choices made by the pilots.

Even if the FEDS limited our duty day to 8 hours, those pilots would be in the exact same position, fatigue wise.

Personal responsibility has been long missed from our culture. Professional responsibility seems to be an endangered species.

It's funny how at ASA CDOs were unsafe until our new contract, which provided for a 1:2 duty rig to 12 hours then 1:1 after that. When a CDO starts paying 8 hours of credit, suddenly they become the safest trips out there.

In fact, now that the trips actually pay something (rather than straight block) you're seeing more people pick up a nap at the end of their 4-day trip as an easy way to get your credit up for the month. Ideal from a paycheck perspective, but not so much from a rest perspective.

One point worth mentioning here:

From talking with other pilots, I've come to understand that some guys can do CDO's without too much disruption, and some can not do them.

By motivating people to pick them up, then those who can do them have reason to choose to do them. When they get gobbled up by pilots who don't mind them, it saves those pilots who can't stand them and are not physiologically safe to do them, from ever having to do them.

Latest resources

Back