Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAI & WN.....what's that gonna look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think pay is all that matters. I fly for a living, I do not care what type of airplane I fly, only pay and QOL really matter to me.

The QOL that you mention is the key. The only way to maintain QOL is to maintain relative seniority.

As far as making money you need to look at more than the last year. SWA has a history of profits for the last 35 years. There is no comparison between the two carriers.
I wouldn't say their is no comparison. Airtran has been profitable for 8 of the last 9 years and has grown from 40 airplanes to 140 airplanes under the umbrella of the largest legacy airline hub in the world (Delta operates around 1000 flights a day out of ATL). Both Southwest and Airtran have been very successful finding their place in the domestic market.

Airtran had to make some difficult changes to the business plan last year (including slowing the growth) due to the spike in fuel prices. Those decisions put Airtran is a good position to return to profitability quickly as evidenced by 2009 producing record quarterly profits. Southwest was able to put off their changes until this year since Southwest was somewhat insulated from the higher fuel prices last year.

Either way, both airlines are strong and can coexist in the same marketplace as evidenced in BWI, MDW, and MCO and soon to be in BOS, LGA, and MKE. Southwest has an advantage of a really strong balance sheet with little debt while Airtran has some of the lowest unit costs in the industry. Southwest and Airtran will continue to chip away domestic marketshare from the legacies for many years to come either as a merged company or as independent LCCs.

Is it just me, or it this thread fvcking stupid?

No... it's not just you. This thread IS stupid.

I wish my life was so bland, boring, and empty that I could sit online making up imaginary "issues" to argue and name call about. "Issues" that don't even exist, and may not ever.

Then again... I DON'T wish for that kind of life....

Which union has the national record for being sued by its own affiliates?

Which union has the national record for job actions by its own employees?

Which union has the national record for the most events of an affiliate jumping ship to a competitor?

Which union has signed more concessionary contracts than progressive ones over the last 20 years?

Which union had to sell its headquarters building to fund lawsuit claims?

Which union charges almost twice the amount in dues yet operates on a much lower surplus?

Which union has almost four times the administrative overhead loading before the money can be put to member use?

Which union has had former leaders do jail time?

Which union's executives individually earn almost three times the other's?

>>will not fly struck work<<

Yeah, ask the Comair guys about that.

Which union has the national record for being sued by its own affiliates?

Which union has the national record for job actions by its own employees?

Which union has the national record for the most events of an affiliate jumping ship to a competitor?

Which union has signed more concessionary contracts than progressive ones over the last 20 years?

Which union had to sell its headquarters building to fund lawsuit claims?

Which union charges almost twice the amount in dues yet operates on a much lower surplus?

Which union has almost four times the administrative overhead loading before the money can be put to member use?

Which union has had former leaders do jail time?

Which union's executives individually earn almost three times the other's?

>>will not fly struck work<<

Yeah, ask the Comair guys about that.

OK ALPO guy i want to hear your response .... :)

Refer to the Usair/America West. Relative seniority, is the only fair way. That's what the new merger law says, that's what your arbitrator would say.

But what do I know.

Clearly you don't know "merger law" because "relative seniority" isn't mentioned anywhere in either AGM or B/M.

It wouldn't be relative seniority nor would it be a staple. IMHO DOH modified for W2s and career expectations is probably what arbitration would bring, but anyone who claims to KNOW doesn't understand arbitration.

PCL,

Its not DoH and you know it. DoH is not recognized by ALPA merger/frag policy OR A/M. Besides, Kelly has stated they're looking for a bankrupt 737 operator. That would be Sun Country. And those jamokes would probably eagerly take a staple just to get a whiff of SWA behinds.

Latest resources

Back