• Start date
  • Watchers 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went to sleep after posting last night and just now got back from the training center. Since the 717's are going away I'm displaced onto the dreaded MD80. I miss my wonderful air-conditioning already.

Whiz, since you apologized I accept.

Keep in mind my post mentioned nothing about the fairness or unfairness of the integration, but just my interpretation of what Supp CC actually entails. I frankly don't see any changes occuring to Supp CC so it's time to move on.

As far as SuperschmuckDavi8tor, he gets no respect from me. First of all, I've never used the term "Sky Nazi" here nor on the old Flightinfo boards nor PlaneBusiness nor Smilin' Jacks. It's an offensive term and I don't use it. Also keep in mind that the expression existed long before AA bought TWA.

Just so people know what kind of a person SuperDavi8tor is, I'm quoting from a personal-message he sent me with this little treatise on the term "TWAB".
SuperDavi8tor wrote me:
The term TWAB is more than an accurate characterization to what you and the rest of your ALPA brethren are trying to do, STEAL jobs that weren't yours in the first place. You weren't enough to get hired by American and now you think your seniority at a broken, run down airline should not only count towards your time at AA, but be used to displace people who were (qualified, experienced, lucky) enough to get hired here. You should be thanking your lucky stars (like you were the first few weeks after the announcement) instead of trying to grab what isn't and never was yours. Be honest with yourself at least, We know most of you were trying to build time just to get a shot at a real major in a few years. What do you think your chances of getting hired at any airline would have been after 9/11? Now every single one of you has it made. But you want more at the expense of others. So YES in the eyes of 90+ percent of us, TWAB=SCAB strike or no strike.

I wish no more discussion on the subject.

Last edited:
Wow!

Really? Is this the way 90 percent of the AA pilots see it? Does this nice gentleman speak on behalf of everyone there (or just 90%) Wow. I guess some anger there. I'm not sure, is this what is called "an olive branch"?

Re: Wow!

Diamonddd:

I don't believe for one instant that superdavi8tor represents 90% or even 9% of AA pilots. He just doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. We all hope to see you back soon. BTW, I'm B717Flyer on Smilin' Jacks.

Last edited:
I say we all get a bunch of the AA and TWA F/A's together for a wrestling match...that should settle it. I'll be the judge.

Who cares what anybody feels or thinks or says:confused: "Fly the plane, land the plane, get off the plane, go home" a wise capt once told me. It's a job. Get over it. We're all paid very well to do something that a computer can probably do better. They got friggin' drones with Hellfires smoking guys in the sand. It's just a matter of time before we're the F/A's, only there in case Hal needs a bulb changed.

When some guy starts spouting off in the C/P about all this stuff I just tune him out and think of the upcoming layover and take a Vitamin E.

We're not the enemy; the company is and if we're not unified we're f*cked. Might as well keep my other job. :D

PN

You know what surprises me the most out of all of this? It is the fact that so many posters here use "The Simpsons" characters for their icon. I thought that I was the only goofball that was a simpsons fan.

What are you kidding! I got a Simpsons DVD box set last Christmas. Ah yes, many more years of the Simpsons. Great way to pass the time of furlough too.

blowhards

Just a few blowhards that think they have a God given right to a job and that should anyone else interfere with this right, they should be strung up and quartered publically.

It's all in the details.....

Yes, most of the AA pilots are opposed to the TWA merger...because they think that it gives the TWA pilots too much.

Before anyone goes off and starts calling AA guys names, realize that they are trying to protect their jobs just like everyone else.

All of the guys at the bottom are subject to the whims of the union/company, and are looking at the following:

AMR buys a failing (bankrupt) company

AMR and TWA continue to hire....

Oops...something really bad happens.....

Time to get rid of guys....let's start at the bottom...hey! How many lists do we have?

Imagine being a guy who just left TWA because he got the dream AA job offer...what the hell do we do with you?

In a very tough job climate, AA guys are going to try to protect their jobs. If anyone can tell me that this is not a good thing, then he can run for the TWA Merger position.

Tempers flare, especially when jobs are lost and people are on the street. The guys at AA who are furloughed will say this:

I work for a company that is earning a lot of money (though not yet a profit), and have an expectation of a job, since I was hired by AA in the (summer, fall) of 2001. Also, all of these TWA people, who were working for a bankrupt airline, had no job expectations in 2002. They expected to be out of business.

Who now deserves the job?

The AA guy who got hired with a successful company in July?

Or a TWA guy who got hired at a failing carrier in 1996?

I'm open for suggestions: I just want to see what people think!

What I think

You want to know what I think? Here is what I think. I think, that for me, personally, with two years at TWA before being furloughed, I still made out OK. I, personally, wouldn't expect anything better. I think I can keep an open mind and see how all of the "209" guys would be angry right now. I don't blame them. Heck, I could see the argument that the guys AFTER the 209 should be upset. I, personally, am not carrying a flag around that says "We got the shaft". I said in an earlier post, I just want to get back to work.
That being said, there are two sides to every story. Keep in mind, I am not arguing FOR any side here.
1. AMR did buy a bankrupt airline. They got a lot for what they paid. (So says some of the analysts) They were not allowed to just go in and write a check for it....they had to go through the court system and PROMISE to keep virtually all of the employees and PROMISE to make it a "Fair and Equitable" integration. Then the courts said, "Well, OK then". and the TWA labor groups said "OK then"
Then, when the keys are handed over, AMR basically said to the AMR union folks, "here, have fun but don't go nuts".
NOW the argument comes in the definition of "Fair and Equitable"
This is where all the fighting comes from. TWA has guys that think that being a 12 year captain and getting stapled behind a probationary pilot is not fair. American has guys that are probationary pilots that say that they chose to leave another job to come to American and have stabiltiy. I can see both sides of the argument.
2. Everyone is just trying to protect their own. Period. If anyone thought that the APA would say, "hey folks, lets be nice and help these guys out.....lets give them DOH" they would be nuts. AND, if anyone thinks that the TWA ALPA would just tell its members " Whew! we got bought by someone. Let's just take what they give us and be happy" they would still be nuts. We wouldn't expect that at all. It is just human nature. We wouldn't want these same people around during contract negotiations saying "Lets be nice and give the company this,or, Whew at least we still have jobs, lets take what they give us"

Let me say this again, so everyone understands. I am NOT carrying the flag for either side right now. I got what I totally expected out of the integration and I am OK with it, even though I am on furlough. BUT, what I do take exception with is that fact that, just because I was working for TWA, there are those that say I am less of a pilot or weren't as qualified or experienced and on and on and couldn't get hired by a real airline. OR they indicate that I am some sort of a SCAB because I worked for TWA. If anyone thinks that DAL/UAL/AMR only hire the most qualified folks and only take the cream of the crop, they are sadly mistaken. Out of ALL of the readers on this board, each will know of at LEAST (I presume) five people that got hired by one of the big three that was less qualified, experienced, yadda yadda. Using the argument that someone is somehow better, just going by who hired you is very innacurate, IMHO. Just because you were able to get 3 or 4 guard/regional buddies that work at one of the big three to write you LOR's does not make you more qualified. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but it does not make you better. (When I say "you" I just mean anyone in general.)
I try not to take the other stuff personal, but this is what gets my goat.
Just remember, there are two sides to every argument. Which side of the fence you sit on determines which side of the argument you take. It is only human nature. That is why some are calling for a neutral third party to get involved but that won't happen either.
Just my opinion.

Not-so-SuperDavi8tor.

SuperDavi8tor = Typical ex-military pilot who thinks the world owes him an airline job. Unfortunately that is who makes up 90% of the AA pilot group. The TWA guys are a great bunch and I feel bad that they had to be picked up by arguably the most ruthless pilot group in the industry. Good luck TWA...with AA you are going to need it!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back