• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to furlough more Jan. 31st......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Out of nothing more than sheer curiosity without rattling too many cages, I was wondering if someone can state the numbers of TWAers (pilots) that are still flying present day at AA if any?. I heard a 5 to 7% number being thrown around and that doesn't seem correct for some reason. I know that none of the TWA flight attendants remain but that should change with the next recall so I am told.(I guess some progress is better than none)..... I guess I am just wondering about the numbers, DOH's, and how all this transpired when AA took over..

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all-

3 5 0

Latest cockpit rumour I heard was that AA would be grounding 100 to 200 narrow-body jets early next year with the resultant loss of crews. What is the ratio, 12 to 14 pilots per jet? That would make upwards of 2000+ furloughs.

Of course rumours have a way of becoming more morbid with each telling.

350DRIVER said:
Out of nothing more than sheer curiosity without rattling too many cages, I was wondering if someone can state the numbers of TWAers (pilots) that are still flying present day at AA if any?. I heard a 5 to 7% number being thrown around and that doesn't seem correct for some reason. I know that none of the TWA flight attendants remain but that should change with the next recall so I am told.(I guess some progress is better than none)..... I guess I am just wondering about the numbers, DOH's, and how all this transpired when AA took over..

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all-

3 5 0
350driver,

Approximately 500 TWAers remain out of 2300 total pilots. We currently have about 2700 on the street, broken down that would be about 1800 TWA pilots and 900 AA pilots.

DOH as follows, ex TWA around 1988 and AA at 2000.

And several lives ruined in the process.

Sadly watching airline history unfold (and about to contribute to unemplyoment),
aa73

p.s. merry xmas to you too!

aa73 said:
350driver,

Approximately 500 TWAers remain out of 2300 total pilots. We currently have about 2700 on the street, broken down that would be about 1800 TWA pilots and 900 AA pilots.

DOH as follows, ex TWA around 1988 and AA at 2000.

And several lives ruined in the process.

Sadly watching airline history unfold (and about to contribute to unemplyoment),
aa73

p.s. merry xmas to you too!

I appreciate the response. A family member spent 28 years at TWA so it was sad to see 75+ years of such a tradition come to an end. I wish ya'll the best and hope that those 2700 have been able to obtain employment somewhere.

cheers,

3 5 0

Thanks man, unfortunately I have a feeling it will get worse before it gets better... to the tune of many more furloughs. If APA gets the Pref bidding and 90hr monthly cap we will be letting a whole bunch more go.

Hope Cactus is treating you well, gotta lot of friends that ended up there and love it.

Is Bruce Byers (former STL72) jock still among the ranks?. He was a class act in every way.

Have a nice holiday,

3 5 0

Gee, Swede, I'm already gone and I'm not THAT pessimistic... ;)

aa73--How close are you to the bottom? If they go the whole 450, the TWA seniority will be early Sept. '88 hires. I never expected it to go that far.

I talked to a friend on the nego comm and the only way they will go for pref bidding is if the union controls it(which is a must for any airline) and that it won't cost jobs. I think the A-plan is toast(replaced by a defined contribution plan) the tough thing is transitioning the guys about ready to retire.

If they sacrifice 2000 more jobs to save the A-plan there's going to be a whole bunch of returning furloughed guys looking for payback at the expense of retiree benefits... :D

Good luck.TC

350driver--I'm sure Bruce is still on the property. I would imagine he still is an -80 Capt. He was my sim partner during a 767 recurrent. Great guy.TC

BigMotorToter said:
Thank god all those 20 something year old wonders are still working there and keeping our sky's safe. Oh, wait, I think it was one of those who just about killed everyone in Denver last week. So much for experience counting in this world.
I guess experience really counted then for AA625… or AA965… or wait… how about AA1420… or maybe AA587?

Don’t even start going down that road... Drop your freakin ego and let it go, pal...

I guess experience really counted then for AA625… or AA965… or wait… how about AA1420… or maybe AA587?

I wonder if you see the irony in your post?

Latest resources

Back