• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA retracted nose gear landing at O'Hare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Investigation of the S80 NLG up landing in ORD on Tuesday continues. At this point it appears the spray deflector broke at some point after pushback at LAX. When the gear was retracted the spray deflector became lodged in the wheel well preventing the NLG from extending. The pushback sequence at LAX was normal and conducted using a regular tug and towbar. We are also investigating previous pushbacks and the possibility of FOD on the taxiway or runway at LAX.

Maintenance has launched a fleet-wide inspection of the S80 spray deflectors with over 200 aircraft completed as of this morning. Some additional cracked spray deflectors were found. Some of the damage is very subtle, we ask S80 crews to pay special attention to preflighting the NLG and call Maintenance if you have any question regarding the spray deflector.

Congrats to CA ----- and F/O --- for a job well done.

Captain ----- - Mgr, Flt Ops Quality Control

viking737 said:
When the gear was retracted the spray deflector became lodged in the wheel well preventing the NLG from extending.
Interesting. Same thing happened to a 717 back in 2001, caused by jumping a chock. (And FYI, in the 717 hydraulics are always HI (3000psi).)

That was an amazing job! I was totally impressed at how long they held that nose wheel off the ground. Glad everybody's ok.

Interesting how once the nose made contact, those boys apparently floored the main brakes. It looks like there was some rub on the mains - lots of smoke - as if the anti-skid wasn't working correctly.

At least they could deplane with no stairs! Just take a short step down from door 1L.

The MD-80 fleet at AA, and I'm sure at others, is showing its age a bit. Our problem at AA is the staggering numbers we have, with no current way to replace them that makes sense financially.

Gorilla said:
Interesting how once the nose made contact, those boys apparently floored the main brakes. It looks like there was some rub on the mains - lots of smoke - as if the anti-skid wasn't working correctly.

I noticed that too. It looked like the mains locked up about halfway through the ground roll. I wonder if the anti-skid is armed by the nose gear WOW switch?

A lot of that smoke- and maybe even some debris- was injested by the engines. You can see a lot of it being pumped out the other end. Looks like a detailed borescope is in order for both engines.

The anti-skid system on the MD80 should operate as long as the speed is above 10 knots with main wheel spin up and the gear handle is in the down position or the emergency gear handle is raised.

The only time the anti-skid system disarms is with the gear handle up, brakes parked, below 10kts, or the switch itself is off.

Saying this however, there are different anti-skid systems for the MD80 that can vary slightly.

hope this may answer some questions.

Last edited:
ironspud said:
They weren't.

At least according to somebody on airliners.net. Would not be shocking news.

Wow, Ironspud, I guess if someone on Airliners.net says they weren't on, it's definitley a credible source.

FYI, we have TWO (2) oportunities to turn them to High and On... once at the FL 180 silent checklist, and once on the mechanical landing checklist, when it is read and confirmed out loud. It is pretty rare to forget the item, but especially at AA, where we have two opportunities to confirm it.

Nice try at discrediting the pilots for a job well done... but typical of your anti-AA attitude. Pretty cheap shot, man. Not what I'd expect from the usual professionalism from the TWA ranks.

Great job to the crew, then again we learned a lot from the Jetblue crew as well!

EagleRJ said:
I Looks like a detailed borescope is in order for both engines.
More like a dual engine change. Thankfully no one was hurt and that is the only thing that matters.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back