• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Pre-Employment Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's really about the money. They don't want to hire somebody that they may have to pay a disability check to at someplace down the line.

That's bs right there. You think a physical for some guy in his late 20's or early 30's is going to show 100% if he will have problems 20 years down the road?

If it's about the money later on, why don't flight attendants, gate agents, rampers, and management have to do a medical prior to employment?

If it's about the money later on, why don't flight attendants, gate agents, rampers, and management have to do a medical prior to employment?

Maybe because pilots are the only ones that incur 10's of 1000's of dollars of training costs and if one leaves if can trigger a bunch of training events (numerous transitions and upgrades) to fill the void?

That's bs right there. You think a physical for some guy in his late 20's or early 30's is going to show 100% if he will have problems 20 years down the road?

You most certainly can predict someone's chances for having medical problems based on their lifestyle, cholesterol count, blood work, etc etc. it's not a 100%, but you can certainly see that hiring pilots with a healthy profile is a better investment than someone who is overweight, smokes, and has high cholesterol.

I was a ramper for AMR back in my college days. They flew me to LAX for a medical exam as part of my hiring process. It was mostly paperwork and a cursory check up. This was over twenty years ago so I have no clue if they still do this.

I was a ramper for AMR back in my college days. They flew me to LAX for a medical exam as part of my hiring process. It was mostly paperwork and a cursory check up. This was over twenty years ago so I have no clue if they still do this.

It is still going on.

Latest resources

Back