AA Pre-Employment Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starcheckdriver

Does anyone have insight on what the American Airlines pre-employment medical exam consists of? I've heard in the past it was far for stringent than FAA 1st class medicals such as in depth hearing and eye tests, heart tests, glucose tolerance testing, full lipid panel, etc. Can anyone shed light on this?

I would hope that the "new" management realizes that a medical dept. at an airline is nothing but a waste of money. The dept provides no revenue for the company coupled with the fact that if you have a first class by an AME then you are good to go in the FAA's eyes.

I think these things/departments are a hold over from the old school airline structure. Kind of like a uniform department. Pretty much useless these days. If you need someone in the company to measure you and provide a uniform then you shouldn't be operating an airplane. What kind of retard can't go online, order the required uniform pieces from whatever uniform distributer the company uses and get then it taylored?

Assuming it's similar to the one Eagle used to do, prepare to be poked, prodded, blood drawn, eyes checked, hearing checked, and be qualified to work for NASA. It's way more involved than a 1st class medical. Used to, they found something wrong with most people. Although it was generally pretty minor, you had to go to your own doctor to get whatever it was checked, and prove it wasn't a problem. Also, depending on what you eat prior to the medical, it can also effect the results.

It lasts several hours.

I never understood why they did that.

I would hope that the "new" management realizes that a medical dept. at an airline is nothing but a waste of money. The dept provides no revenue for the company coupled with the fact that if you have a first class by an AME then you are good to go in the FAA's eyes.

I think these things/departments are a hold over from the old school airline structure. Kind of like a uniform department. Pretty much useless these days. If you need someone in the company to measure you and provide a uniform then you shouldn't be operating an airplane. What kind of retard can't go online, order the required uniform pieces from whatever uniform distributer the company uses and get then it taylored?

I agree, but American has been very clear in their hiring memos in 2013 that pre-employment medical exam are a requirement and that your offer of employment is contingent upon passing that medical exam.

It's really about the money. They don't want to hire somebody that they may have to pay a disability check to at someplace down the line.

The insurance company pays the disabled pilot, not the airline. The most they are on the hook for is your sick bank, which they think belongs to them.

Excuse me, but I'd like to be measured and have the uniform made just for my measurements. What doesn't fit better that way?

No need to be going to a taylor on my time off to make a company uniform piece to fit better.

Latest resources

Back