AA Pilots, rumor control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I copied this from my posting on APC:

Rumor + AA in the same sentence = status quo for years. Raise expectations, crush, raise again, crush again.... it's the M.O. right out of the book "Confessions of a Union Buster." Gee, how convenient... we are in the midst of heated contract negotiations.

Here's the truth, based on the same playbook used by AMR for years:

AA has a huge aircraft order list. At least 20 773s and probably 100 737-700s or EMB-190s or Bombarier C-Series - not sure which of those 3, but there is nevertheless a big order for a 100 seat jet.

They will not disclose the complete order in one shot. They will dribble them out in samll announcements of 2-3 aircraft (cue the 773 order a few weeks ago.) They will leave the bulk of that for the so-called concessionary "carrot dangle" when they present their contract offer to the union - in the hopes that we will be so excited with the announced growth, that we will immediately sign on the dotted line.

What we (the union) know is this - AA needs to grow, period. So, they will order these aircraft regardless of what contract we have. They will pretend it's not possible. They will try and convince us that that no aircraft will be ordered if we don't sign to their terms. But we know better. It's been done before. They did it with the 777 orders in '97. Said they couldn't order them without concessions. We called them on their bluff, signed a contract on our terms, and they ordered them anyway.

It will probably come down to pretty close to a strike. That's when negotiations will get serious. But we will not be suckered in to their "growth based on pilot contract" B.S. They will grow - period.

So, aa73's crystal ball says that there WILL be some pretty rapid movement in the next 5-10 years here (barring some type of economic/terroristic disaster.) But aa73 and his union compadres will focus exclusively on getting the best contract possible and not on their growth promises. In some vaguely familiar words once heard in some kind of mafia movie, "FUPM."
tongue.gif

P.s. off the street hiring will start sooner than everyone thinks, based on deferrals, early outs, NPRM ruling and scheduled retirements starting in 2013.

Very good points, but I will say that any AA pilot talking about striking is a little funny. The NMB has little tolerance for the APA after the Lloyd years and Bates has a huge mountain to climb to turn the ship around. I think he's on his way (not so sure about the Board and the pilot group), but it will not happen quickly. Just IMHO.

Ooh, goody! I thought you'd forgotten about me. Thanks for jumping in and sharing again.

Originally Posted by HalinTexas: AA might be the first airline to have all the FO's topped out at the top of their pay scale.

Puffy: in 2005 the junior FO at US Airways was a displaced captain hired in 1988. That means every FO was had at least 17 years longevity. Per LOA93 FO pay maxes out after 12 years longevity. Hence, in 2005 US Airways was definitely an airline with all FOs topped out at the top of their pay scale. Therefore my response to HalinTexas that USAirways beat AA to the punch is 100% correct.

Thanks for trying, Puffy, and better luck next time.

My bad. I thought the junior pilot was on furlough. I missed the part where he said active pilots. <hint: He didn't>

Good try, though. I can see where you were headed with it--albeit in the wrong direction. BTW, we don't all spend 24/7 here, and yes, I had forgotten you. You are forgettable. Just so you know, I'll probably be gone for another week or so, and then probably not remember this thread again.

My bad. I thought the junior pilot was on furlough. I missed the part where he said active pilots. <hint: He didn't>

Guess what, Puffy, he doesn't need to specify "active" pilots because nobody using any kind of logic would confuse furloughed pilots for employed pilots.

When people talk about AA pilots do you think they mean to include me? By your 'logic' since I'm on the AA seniority list I'm currently an AA pilot. Funny, haven't seen a regular paycheck from them since 2002.

Please, please, please don't forget about me again. My fragile ego depends on decimating your feeble arguments and inane debating style.

THIS is why I always looked forward to flying with 'TWA Dude'. The conversation never lagged. :D

TC

TC, excepting you and the other TWAers I had the pleasure of flying with, heaven help me if taking recall to AA ever becomes my best option. Gosh knows the Easties (and their apologists like Puffy if he really isn't an Eastie) are doing their best to make it so.

Cmon TWA Dude, take a recall here! Just think, you'd be shot out of a cannon in weeks, not months... get a free ipad... no more hats... while having a management team that's "best in class"... what'd I miss? good times, I tell ya.

We don't even know if they will continue recalls after the flow-thru's. So,everything else is a mute point. The flow-thru's will be complete May/June time frame and then I will believe it. These are pilots that never received a recall. So,putting a percentage on the recall is ridiculous. Especially,after a decade. I forgot what an airplane looks like.

Latest resources

Back