AA Pilot Busted for Impersonating Cop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Secret Squirrel said:
How much you wanna bet he was a federal flight deck officer and flashed his ID to get out of a ticket. The officer got pissed when he found out the truth because the pilot was a prick about it and this is where we stand now. That is one problem with the whole program. The ID lets you carry a firearm but it gives you no other powers and it is obvious the federal government does not want it and will not support those who have it.

Or he could just be a complete idiot.

SS

What problem's do you see with the program?? I'm sure this guy did more than just flashed his creds.

Also are you an FFDO? I assume not..."no powers"

As an ex-cop you should know that people will hand out business cards of police officers that they know to try to get off. I cant tell you how many times that happened to me...but it dosen't "piss" me off.

Also we can hold a person for 72 hours if we suspect they are a danger to themselves. 5150

Last edited:
That case is a mental health evaluation and not detained without cause. I know it happends but not at my level. And I had lots of people hand me business cards but they were usually telling me they were a snitch for said officer. If I did not know about the FFDO program and a pilot showed it to me saying he was a federal law enforcement officer for the TSA or DOT or something he is breaking the law and will go to jail.

I am not a FFDO but talked with lots of guys who have gone through the program. The program is a red headed step child that was rushed through without thought of how it was going to be implemented. First you have to take your own time off. While I am sure the training is top notch I worry about the proficiency. As an officer I trained monthly with department amunition. Most people I have talked to only got it so they could bypass security and don't even carry their weapon. That worries me about their dedication to the program. Plus I can think of one trip in the last year I could have taken it on with all the restrictions on international travel. All that and I have talked to captains who said they would only take FFDO's from their own airline which would restrict my getting to work. Finally, who do you think would back you up in the case you had to actually shoot someone. People like FN FAL would rake you over the coals saying you were some wild cowboy. The media would crusify you. Your company? Now way. Your government? Yea right. Maybe your union if you are lucky to have a good one. You will be hung out to dry.

Last edited:
Secret Squirrel, you should have stepped back from the keyboard just after you typed "I am not a FFDO but ...", as everything after that is garbage.

Secret Squirrel said:
That case is a mental health evaluation and not detained without cause. I know it happends but not at my level. And I had lots of people hand me business cards but they were usually telling me they were a snitch for said officer. If I did not know about the FFDO program and a pilot showed it to me saying he was a federal law enforcement officer for the TSA or DOT or something he is breaking the law and will go to jail.

Why would an FFDO go to jail?

Then tell me how it is good. I told you my opinion and all you did is post "it is garbage". That is not constructive, it is crap.

I read some freaky article recently about people who impersonate cops and rape/kill - it was very scary. It said that if you are a woman getting stopped in an isolated area to slow down and put your hazards on and call 911 from a cell to see if the dispatcher knows of a cruiser trying to pull over someone with your plates. That, or drive to a populated area. Crazy you have to worry about crap like this.

Secret, perhaps I should couch my answer in another, more informative, way.

You said that you have not attended the program, then you proceeded to analyze the problems with said program. You questioned the motivation to participate, FFDO proficiency, standard operating procedures, and indemnification from FFDO action.

I guess I don't understand how someone admitedly unfamiliar with the program, aside from anectdotal conversations with a few FFDOs, can opine with authority on the shortcomings of the program.

Thus, I inferred that you don't know what you are talking about, opinion or not. I was perhaps a bit short with you. Thus, this explanation is more involved.

By the way, I'm speaking as a FI member, not a Mod, so you may argue with me with impunity. Heck, everybody else does!

Latest resources

Back