AA Pilot Busted for Impersonating Cop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MrPink1911 said:
Don't know about the rest of the country, but in Texas you can hold a person for 72 hours without charges...
...or longer, it's not the cops fault that the request to charge form was sitting in the prosecutor's in basket all weekend long.

I know a married couple that spent Friday to Tuesday in the clink, the wife was released at the arraignment hearing on the Tuesday because of insufficient evidence. I think the husband plead and paid a simple fine at the arraignment hearing.

the skinny

Okay, i actually know this guy. He and I were in the same guard unit (im retired) and still live in the same city. ..He was pulled over for a traffic violation and did try the ole "brother law enforcement" bit to dodge it. stupid, but not criminal. he did not claim he was a federl airmarshall but a part of the airmarshall program. trying to explain the FFDO program to someone who never heard of it. Then a couple of weeks later the feds show up to "just ask a few questions, to clear up this misunderstanding" Just a friendly chat, no need for a lawyer or anything. Next thing he knows hes indicted and the whole thing has literally become a federal case. Now he has a DA who wants a juicy career enhancing case (maybe get on FOX news!) and the feds with an axe to grind on FFDO's in general. So far American has told him that unless he is convicted they have no problem. The Air Guard though has grounded him and revoked security clearances until this is resolved. So if you are in the FFDO program, beware. You cannot dick around with this and skate by. Lots of confusion about your legal status as "law enforcement"

boxesdontbitch said:
Okay, i actually know this guy. He and I were in the same guard unit (im retired) and still live in the same city. ..He was pulled over for a traffic violation and did try the ole "brother law enforcement" bit to dodge it. stupid, but not criminal. he did not claim he was a federl airmarshall but a part of the airmarshall program. trying to explain the FFDO program to someone who never heard of it. Then a couple of weeks later the feds show up to "just ask a few questions, to clear up this misunderstanding" Just a friendly chat, no need for a lawyer or anything. Next thing he knows hes indicted and the whole thing has literally become a federal case. Now he has a DA who wants a juicy career enhancing case (maybe get on FOX news!) and the feds with an axe to grind on FFDO's in general. So far American has told him that unless he is convicted they have no problem. The Air Guard though has grounded him and revoked security clearances until this is resolved. So if you are in the FFDO program, beware. You cannot dick around with this and skate by. Lots of confusion about your legal status as "law enforcement"

Good gouge, and an important safety tip!

The extra scrutiny isn't exclusively for FFDO's. Even if you aren't in uniform, don't have your pilot's license with you, and you are not actually flying an airplane...get a DUI and the FAA will make your life more interesting.

We're "special"!

Occam's Razor said:
Good gouge, and an important safety tip!

The extra scrutiny isn't exclusively for FFDO's. Even if you aren't in uniform, don't have your pilot's license with you, and you are not actually flying an airplane...get a DUI and the FAA will make your life more interesting.

We're "special"!

This is why I never went thru the program. Its all for show, with no support.

I do know an FFDO, and he does use the badge to get his family into Disneyland and knotts Berry Farm for free on "Police day". Was also with him at a "pay parking" garage. He flashed the badge and asked the guy "if they give free parking to law enforcement officers?" The guy let us drive out without paying. Keep in mind that he was "impressing" 20 year old kids, not cops.

skiandsurf said:
This is why I never went thru the program. Its all for show, with no support.

The "show" for NOT going through the program is the "shoe dance and laptop screen" by the white shirts at the airport. I enjoy watching it as I sign in and get in front of you at Starbucks on the other side.

skiandsurf said:
I do know an FFDO,

Me too! He sleeps with my wife!

skiandsurf said:
...and he does use the badge to get his family into Disneyland and knotts Berry Farm for free on "Police day". Was also with him at a "pay parking" garage. He flashed the badge and asked the guy "if they give free parking to law enforcement officers?" The guy let us drive out without paying. Keep in mind that he was "impressing" 20 year old kids, not cops.

It's all in the technique.

I actually used my status as a captain to do something special once. We were on a cruise in the Caribbean, and I took the tour of the bridge. The captain was on duty at the time, and I explained to him that I was a captain too. He actually set me steer the ship! It was kinda creepy sitting on his lap, but other than that, it was fun.

Lessons learned:
There is no such thing as a "friendly chat" with a .gov lawyer. Always lawyer up.

A portion of fed cops are screaming d1cks. How about going after a real violent criminal, chief? There are one or two around. Instead, we'll go after the slam-dunk on Joe Private Citizen who happens to be a former .mil officer. What a joke.

Unnecessary ad hominums deleted.

Last edited:
few more:

"i dont have my license bc the bar took it when i refused to give them my keys"

cop: how much have you had tonight??
you: "not enough to keep me from cringing at the sight of your wife!!"

female cop: "how much you had tonight?"
you: "too much; cause you're lookin good right now"

this is as good as i can do whilst sippin on tecate with lime watchin the masters

oldxfr8dog said:
When did say screw anybody? If they are abusing the FFDO status, they should lose it. I didn't say PROSECUTE them.
If they are using credentials solely to avoid taking off their shoes and aren't carrying the weapon, they don't deserve the privilege.
I happen to believe that when you raise your right hand and take an oath, it means something.

No offense seriously.. I just don't think it is any of our business nor do I CARE IF THEY GET AROUND SECURITY. Taking off their shoes is not a requirement to get on an aircraft. How about MX personel... how do they get on the ramp??

Also, taking an oath has nothing do with with not carrying your weapon and bypassing security. Sorry, I just don't agree.

Last edited:
boxesdontbitch said:
Then a couple of weeks later the feds show up to "just ask a few questions, to clear up this misunderstanding" Just a friendly chat, no need for a lawyer or anything. Next thing he knows hes indicted and the whole thing has literally become a federal case.
"Friendly chat"?

Priceless.

Latest resources

Back