AA Pilot Busted for Impersonating Cop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Secret Squirrel said:
Well I have probably flown with 15 FFDO's. Only one actually carried.
ss
I doubt your accuracy, but neither of us have a way to verify, so a DID SO! -DID NOT!, exchange is pointless.
If true, I can only hope that the last thought in those pathetic assh*les minds as their throats are cut is, "Aw shucks! If I hadn't been so f*ckin' LAZY, I might have saved MY life and the lives of a few thousand OTHER people!"
I hope they use the RFID chip to find out how many posers are out there.

Secret Squirrel said:
Well I have probably flown with 15 FFDO's. Only one actually carried.
ss
If you know they bypassed security with their creds and weren't carrying, TURN THEM IN!

Secret Squirrel said:
Well I am sure your experience with Law & Order and Andie Griffith are far superior to my years as an actual police officer. 72 hours without charges? Good luck in real life but I think I did see that once on hill street blues.

I am not trying to tell you what happened in this case, just telling it like it was in mine.

OK simple enough question, did the local police officer arrest the airline pilot for a federal crime at the scene of the traffic stop?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
News releases are available at www.usdoj.gov/usao/ks/
Phone: (316) 269-6481
Fax: (316) 269-6420​

WEDNESDAY, April 5, 2006​

AIRLINE PILOT FROM WICHITA CHARGED
WITH IMPERSONATING A FEDERAL AIR MARSHAL

WICHITA, KAN. – An American Airlines pilot who lives in Wichita has been indicted on charges of impersonating a Federal Air Marshal and making a false statement to a federal investigator.​

Peter V. Austin, 42, was indicted Tuesday by a grand jury meeting in Wichita. According to the indictment, the crime occurred March 5, 2006, in Sedgwick County, Kan., when Austin was stopped by Park City Police Officer R.W. Wolff.​

If convicted, Austin faces a maximum penalty of 3 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000 on the impersonation charge and a maximum penalty of 5 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000 on the charge of making a false statement to a federal investigator. The Transportation Security Administration investigated the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney Matt Treaster is prosecuting.​

FN FAL said:
Yea, it's true. 72 hours...you can be held, then released. No charges filed.

You make such blanket statements. Actually the US government can hold a person indefinately depending on the situation. They are doing it right now. They held an american citizen for like 3 years and finally released him for a trial. Every state has different rules and every department has different practices.

Ski and surf

Every year there are pilots who screw up and do stupid things. We had a guy show up hi on coke. Looks like a sky west guy just showed up drunk. Two pinnacle crewmembers acted so bad that it is part of our CRM class. It is too bad you think this way. There are bad apples all over.

I will now leave this thread for FN FAL to finish because he knows all. Good luck.

skiandsurf: First, let me start by saying I hope you're just young and ignorant. Wait. By your profile, that is doubtful. Let me just say I pity you.

FN FAL said:
OK simple enough question, did the local police officer arrest the airline pilot for a federal crime at the scene of the traffic stop?

You seem to be hung up on the "local officer enforcing federal law" theme.

Kansas Criminal Code, section 21-3110 (10) defines law enforcement officer as

(10) "Law enforcement officer" means:
(a) Any person who by virtue of such person's office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crimes, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes;

This person was likely arrest for Impersonation of a Law Enforcement Officer (a state charge) however the prosecutor likely referred it for Federal Prosecution since he claimed to be an Air Marshal and the federal penalties are much greater. State prosecution was likely declined in lieu of federal prosecution.

"Federal Air Marshal" fullfills the state of Kansas "law enforcement officer" definition. As such, the police officer made a legal arrest for a state charge.

This subject was (based on reading the news article) later released and at some point federal investigators became involved and pursued a federal indictment for impersonating an Air Marshal.

By the way, "False impersonation" is a misdemeanor under State of Kansas law (21-3824 is the statute)

Last edited:
SkiandSurf, although I don't agree with what you said, your delivery was perfect and I must admit I laughed my ass off. I'm sure we've all run into those cops who clearly became cops because they were bullied in school, or they are ugly women or short men and they're just out to get back at the world that, in their mind, has wronged them somehow. Big deal, I've flown with captains like that too. However, there are a lot of good cops out there who are literally risking their lives everyday for the sake of trying to hold our twisted society together and keep us from killing one another. Hopefully someday you'll meet some good cops and your thinking will change.

-Blucher:D

"By the way, "False impersonation" is a misdemeanor under State of Kansas law (21-3824 is the statute)"-satpak77

Satpak77, that's a good point, and I'm glad you brought it up for all those "Riddle Rats" that are probably hooked on this board. For all you kids out there trying to buy beer with that fake ID you've got, that is the charge you will be charged with if you are caught.

-Blucher;)

oldxfr8dog said:
If you know they bypassed security with their creds and weren't carrying, TURN THEM IN!

Wow! Go after them and screw them hard. It's nice guys like you that make this job so fun. Why not talk to them? Better yet, mind your own business. What a thought.

Ladies and Gentlemen: We don't know that the guy was an FFDO. The report said FAM, and of course they probably meant FFDO, but who knows.

What I do know is that we shouldn't be discussing either FAM or FFDO procedures/policy on a public forum.

Now if you want to bash cops or argue about federal vs local jurisdiction by all means have at it.

But please remember that the bad guys read these boards too.

Thanks.

FJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back